1966 Barracuda Fenders???

-

POPS6T6

Reaction score
Trying to restore my 1966 Barracuda, it was willed to me and therefore I received it kind of unexpectedly. Due to those circumstances, I never had the opportunity to ask my father, or my grandfather (yes it was both of theirs at one time or another) about the car. There is so much I am trying to learn and it has been rather hard.

Anyways, I would like to replace the fenders on the car (it is an Ohio car and has some minor damage and rust damage) yet I am not sure what years if any besides 1966 fit the car? I have heard that only 1966 Barracuda and 1966 Valiant fenders will fit. Is this true? Or will 64-66 fit?

Thanks for any input (and that includes ANY input regarding the car). I am also curious as to what years I should be looking at in order to replace the 7 1/4" rear end on it.

Thanks in advance.

John

If thise fenders arent total junk, you will probably have to have them repaired.
The fenders do have to come from a 66 Valiant or Barracuda.

Yes the fenders are 66 cuda and Valiant only. As for the rear end I think up to 72 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 a body will fit. But you will need a new drive line as it is shorter than the one with the 7 1/4. also will need new u bolts.

Yes the 66 was a one year style fender for the Barracuda & Valiant.
I don't think the four door car fenders will fit a two door car either, can anyone verify that here?

dartcuda said:
Yes the fenders are 66 cuda and Valiant only. As for the rear end I think up to 72 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 a body will fit. But you will need a new drive line as it is shorter than the one with the 7 1/4. also will need new u bolts.

Ok, So forgive me for being both un-educated and new here. What cars qualify for "A" body? I know Valiants, Barracudas, Scamps (I think) and some Darts??? And I have heard of rumors that you can use the rear end out of an older truck? Am I just way out of line here?

As you can tell, very new, but willing to learn. I have been reading and reading, probably reading to much as now I am getting more confused!

Thanks,

John

Hi If you want to keep your 66 looking like a 66 then only 66 fenders will fit. But I am close to positve that 4 door fit.

But ANY 64 - 66 a body will bolt on and look um different.

Rear ends A bodys are all small mopars, all darts made after they were down sized ( 62 I think?) The early a bodys ( that we have ) are a little different than later a bodys.

Trucks the 8 3/4 were used on a lot of trucks but the mounts are quite a bit different, ie the mounts are on top of axel, I think but I am not sure that a100 vans are the same width as a bodys, but the springs are mounted on top. 8 3/4 are my personal fav. but they cost a lot ebay

8.25 rear ends are easer to find and the a bodys will bolt in but for a early a body they might be a little wide. 8.25 from a later dodge ( like a 88 cop ) will be a little wider and have strange mounting pads.

Hope this helps

I do know where a couple of 66 Barracudas are in wrecking yards in Lemoore, CA. I'm in Fresno and there is a yard here that might have them, too. I also used to have a 66. If you would like to talk about yours and learn some, let me know.

Pretty Strange,
I live in Ohio and just sold the 66 Barracuda that I had owned since 1977 at the Nats. While there I found out that my dad had pancreatic cancer. I will be purchasing from my father's estate either a 64 or 65 depending on the coin toss with my brother. I have two very nice 66 Valiant fenders but I'm certain you can find a better deal out there, especially with Jim Lusk on your side. If you can't find any let me know. If it is only the lower part behind the wheel that is rusted I think Layson's may have a patch panel. My buddy got one for a 65 and it was very nice.
Good Luck

Jim Lusk said:
I do know where a couple of 66 Barracudas are in wrecking yards in Lemoore, CA. I'm in Fresno and there is a yard here that might have them, too. I also used to have a 66. If you would like to talk about yours and learn some, let me know.

Lemoore that out there I am from modesto/hughson and about as far as I looked for parts was firebaugh & mendota on the 33 side I also did delivery out there in the 70s. I miss home, realize how lucky you are to live there, here in Co there is nothing.

In Az hidden valley auto parts had some 66 parts.

qkRick said:
Pretty Strange,
I live in Ohio and just sold the 66 Barracuda that I had owned since 1977 at the Nats. While there I found out that my dad had pancreatic cancer. I will be purchasing from my father's estate either a 64 or 65 depending on the coin toss with my brother. I have two very nice 66 Valiant fenders but I'm certain you can find a better deal out there, especially with Jim Lusk on your side. If you can't find any let me know. If it is only the lower part behind the wheel that is rusted I think Layson's may have a patch panel. My buddy got one for a 65 and it was very nice.
Good Luck

Sorry bout your father, I lost mine to cancer as well. The car was bought in Stow Ohio, then made it's way down to Georgia with my dad when he was in the Army, then back into Stow for the last 30 years or so. Now it lives in California, I think it likes the weather better here!

Would be willing to talk about the fenders you have, and anything else if that is the case. Let me know.

Thanks,

John

John,

I hope that you aren't yankin' my chain cause I just got major goose bumps after reading your post. I have lived around Stow for over 40 years and quite possibly knew the car or maybe even your Dad if he was from around here. We moved from Canton Ohio to Stow after my Dad took a job at the Chrysler stamping plant in Twinsburg, Ohio in 1963. My Dad always had the hots for a Barracuda from the time they first came out but with five kids /one income he didn't get one until around 75 or 76. After he had the first one done he found a 65, mint condition, one owner 273 HiPo car by accident in Carolina. Has all the Formula S stuff but is not a Formula S. I bought the 66 from him at that time. Later he found a very nice 64 that his buddy the body guy redid for him. Since my brother and myself both like the HiPo car we are going to have a coin toss to see who buys it. Loser buys the 64.
Long story but some members may find it interesting. Now how about one more Stephen King type twist. A couple years ago I'm driving in Stow and I see the twin to my dark blue 66 going down the road. I later tracked the guy down and it turned out that he lives less than a mile from me. The cars were twins except mine was a slant six and his was a 273.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Rick

Small world Rick, thanks for calling me back today. Not only was it nice to talk to someone about the car, but it was definately nice to talk to someone from home!!

Take care and hope to talk to you again soon.

John

-
Back