1966 Barracuda FormulaS 6 Leaf spring ride height

-

Stagger

Reaction score
Hi,
have no experience with leaf springs. But my fish with wheels on floor and empty has straight leafs. I would say that they are the factory ones. Mybe repaired or restored in the past.
Do i need new one?
What was the factory ride height in the rear? And how to measure them? Could only find for the front a factory height in the service manual.
If i need to buy new one want to order the right ones. I like the lower ones for better curving.
Does someone know the right height. No company could answere my question like hotchkis, mancini, espo,....

My wheels are 15"

27165277we.jpg

27165278df.jpg

27165279ax.jpg

27165280xj.jpg

This is my 65 with 6 leaf plus 1 inch. The car is stripped of everything, glass, interior, chrome, all trim, ECT. It didn't sit as high before I stripped it down. The wheels are 14's. I'm going to get a picture, can't find the one I had

My springs were almost straight and had shackles when I purchased it. These came from Expo Springs and Things. Remember there is a lot of weight missing. It did sit really nice before I stripped it down.

WP_20161018_15_58_06_Pro.jpg

t
My springs were almost straight and had shackles when I purchased it. These came from Expo Springs and Things. Remember there is a lot of weight missing. It did sit really nice before I stripped it down.

View attachment 1714981076
tadams, thanks for your picture. if your leafs also were straight before stripping....i don't need new ones?

Maybe you can work off the "overall height" of 53.3" (V8) with 6.95-14 tires to give you an idea.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Barracuda_0015.jpg

daves69, thats a good idea. the roof isn't straight and goes down on the back. but the 53,3" was taken at the top front roof area.
i have one spare tire with the stock 14"rims that i can use for approximate measuring.
thanks.

did my leafs look normal or does they look worn out?

Someone posted some brochure pictures on the 66 Barracuda to show ride height. I couldn't find his post but did find some pictures on ebag showing factory height!

111 barracuda.jpg

111112 barracuda .jpg

great pic. they do sit down a little in the back. Mine has aftermarket springs, but they were on when i got them. They have a slight curve to them...not as straight as yours. I think its a fine line with the 66...too high and they don't look good - too low and they don't look good. Here's mine with (14") SBP Wheels.

Driver front corner 2.jpg

Passenger rear corner.jpg

Last edited:
Those springs look shot but the ride height looks decent.

That's same i think. Like my rear height. Don't wanna them higher or lower. They are right for me.

Now i have to made a decision which springs to order...stock height, 1" lower, or something else....

Has someone experience with the hotchkis 1"lower springs? Or are the 6 leaf springs a better choice (eg. Expo) for sporty street driving.

If you read about the Hotchkis springs you'll read nothing but bad. If you went Hotchkis I'd go stock because one of the issues they seem to have is sagging.

I've ben told Eaton is the best for handling.

Honestly I think if it rides well, handles well and doesn't bottom out then the only reason to replace them is for the look. Do you want it a little higher in the back? I think it looks great, but it's not my car!

Cley

That's the problem. His leaf spring isn't functioning properly anymore.

no i don't want them higher. i like it how it stand now.
i have no comparison how it will ride with new springs. i drove the springs 6500miles. can not say that there are crap..but may it will be a lot better with new ones. thats the reason why i am asking about your rides and experience on them. i made the most on the car self. but here i have no experience. i made a lot updates on suspension and now i am on the rear spring.

I also think about the hotchkis...but they aren1" lower. But i like the idea they are lighter ( have only 3 leafs if i remeber right).
How does they drive on street and curves? Maybe picture underneath and with 14" or 15" wheels?

Yes they were an inch lower than stock when new, they have sagged at least another half inch inch since then. They drive fine and through the curves work well.

-
Back