1966 Dart door gap issue, rubbing.

-

Jayman62

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm having an issue with my passenger door. It is rubbing and binding at the top. The gap needs to be adjusted. The gap at the rear of the door looks good. So I assume I may need to adjust the fender out a bit. I'm not certain how much I have to disassemble the fender to move it, if anyone has suggestions on what needs to be removed to adjust it. The door does sag a bit, as you have to lift it slightly to close the door. The only thing I have tried was to replace the hinge bushings and pin and I have tried to adjust the door hinges, it's a bit better but still binds at the top and the metal is starting to fatigue. Pictures below. Would appreciate any advice, and I thank you ahead.

IMG-3005.jpg

IMG-3006.jpg

Make sure your hinges are tight. Rebuild if needed. Yes, It looks like the fender needs to go forward just a touch.

Def start with the hinges. If the pin and bushing work you've done still require you to lift the door to close it or there is play in the hinges, you need to address that before moving on to the fender adjustment.

I'm not 100% sure what all needs to be loosened on a 66 but on my 72, there are two bolts down at the rocker, one on the side edge of the cowl behind the splash shield, 4-6 bolts along the top of the inner fender and two at the hood support

you 100% need to move that fender forward... also if you bushed the hinge you should have zero play.. i did mine last weekend and they were super tight when done.

BTW.. don't rush getting the door adjusted properly as far as the body line matching the quarter then work forward.. took me over a hour to adjust my 2 doors to get them to close perfect and all that.. it's a pain in the *** but worth it

P.S. your rear gap looks good in the pic.. just that fender needs to move

Well I am trying to move the fender forward a little bit but I’ve removed every bolt I can find and the thing won’t budge does anyone have any tips on how to get the fender removed or loosened just so I can adjust it

There is always 1 more bolt.. keep looking.. is there one behind the front of the door on the top?

Last edited:
-
Back