1966 Dart single master cylinder, trick to remove?

-

Jayman62

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Is there a trick to remove the piston or rod from the master cylinder I have all four bolts on the firewall removed but I cannot seem to get the master cylinder to budge off of the rod.

Thank you.

Pull it with the push rod. Then put the rod in a vice close with the master cylinder close to the vice and pry it off the rod. There is a rubber grommet around the rod to keep it in place.

Pull it with the push rod. Then put the rod in a vice close with the master cylinder close to the vice and pry it off the rod. There is a rubber grommet around the rod to keep it in place.
I've done it both ways but it is far easier to pull up on the brake pedal from inside the car. This pops the grommet right out of the MC bore. I think I had to remove the brake light switch first to allow the pedal to come up.

Thanks guys, it came of when I twisted and pulled with vigor. Just eanted to make sure I wasn't missing some sort of set screw or something. The rubber boot on the end of the piston has a slight cut in it, is that going to be an issue?

That's a dust boot. Not a big deal, but, I'd get another if it's available.

That's a dust boot. Not a big deal, but, I'd get another if it's available.
Thank you Mark, and others. I'll check around to see who has one of those, it is in fact the tiny rubber piece on the end of the piston rod, not the larger boot. I imagine they don't come with the new master cylinder, and before someone asks, I am upgrading all lines and to a dual MC. In fact I posted another question with details on the MC swap. Questions after reading info on here about the swap.

Jay

-
Back