1966 Dodge Dart Restomod

-
2 weeks ago I let a local shop give Cherry a front end alignment. Everything went well until last week. I lost brakes...
It's bad enough the front end wondered randomly 5 or 6 degrees left or right without touching the steering wheel. (More on this later), but throw no brakes on top and I had to go buy more underwear.
I saved myself with the emergency brake, but screwed that up in the process. Prolly needs adjusted. Anyway.... I ended up putting in a new master cylinder and bleeding out about 10 ounces, or so, of cappuccino colored foam from the lines.
If anyone wants to know what happens when someone tops off the master cylinder with power steering fluid... see below.

View attachment 1715628925
Yep, mixing up fluids can cause some issues. Good thing you had some E brake to use.

I’ve had the single core master cylinder/rear wheel cylinder fail on my 65. I know the need for some new underwear feeling. I panicked and through my car in park, so far my transmission survived. Looks like your dad or somebody put a dual core master already on there. Nice upgrade

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to upgrade the front drums to disc, but to expensive atm.
I should do that with my 66 but I kind of wanted to keep it original. The 10" drums will stop the car damn good. It still has a single reservoir master cylinder on it. Not the safest but it will lock all 4 up if needed.

I should do that with my 66 but I kind of wanted to keep it original. The 10" drums will stop the car damn good. It still has a single reservoir master cylinder on it. Not the safest but it will lock all 4 up if needed.
Yep, you just need to stay on top of the maintenance.

WANDERLUST

So I mentioned a steering issue causing me to want to soil myself earlier.
Long story short... The idler arm nut was loose, 2 of the other nuts in the linkage were not tight, and all three of the steering box bolts were loose enough to turn with your fingers. I had my friend yank the steering wheel left and right repeatedly while I crawled underneath to look... the steering linkage looked like they were having a good old fashioned square dance. Cherry was wiggling like a collage girl dancing for tuition. My mouth hit the floor and I muttered something about my ancestry under my breath.
Well, a $25 bottle of red thread locker, an hour or so, and a few bandsids later, (dang ol cotterpins), and it's all better... 4 now.
Ride height is still way too high, but I'll get to that.

it's a nice car ~ IMHO it could handle some red and blue pinstriping to break up the whiteness and tie things together
Now I'm going to use different thickness white pin striping to fade the red to the white, like the image below, but I like the idea of colored stripes on the white. I'll mock that up on the computer to see what it looks like. Thanks.

Dart 6.jpg

I should have said this first, where as the body is a 66, the donor car was a 65, providing things like the steering column, transmission, floor shifter, etc.
The rear end is an early 70s 8 3/4 with 355 gears, so the rear rims are 5 on 4 1/2, while the front remain 5 on 4.
The engine is a 360 from the 70s, I need to look up the block code and find out from what.

Nice work .
Definitely upgrade to front disc brakes .
Here's a couple of pic's of my '66 . Bought new in Dec.'65 and in '75 repainted it yellow and white and in '16 repainted it turquoise and Toyota white .
Now I have to change the interior color and put all the trim on .

Life got in the way and one would think one would have made good use of 2020 to finish it ... BUT NO ! Dang it !

Ya Ya I know get off the Computer and go work on it . Ok Ok I'm going .

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work .
Definitely upgrade to front disc brakes .
Here's a couple of pic's of my '66 . Bought new in Dec.'65 and in '75 repainted it yellow and white and in '16 repainted it turquoise and Toyota white .
Now I have to change the interior color and put all the trim on .

Life got in the way and one would think one would have made good use of 2020 to finish it ... BUT NO ! Dang it !

Ya Ya I know get off the Computer and go work on it . Ok Ok I'm going .

View attachment 1715630274

View attachment 1715630276
Nice

-
Back