1966 Dodge Dart Steering Column Exploded View..Column Shift

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Trying to help out a new Member, Ryan, as he inherited his Dad's 66 Dart convertible. It seems that he inherited the car with a torn down 3spd column shift steering column. Now, he needs to reassemble the column having not been there when it was torn down. Would anyone have an exploded view of a 1966 Dodge Dart Power Steering Column with Column shift that could be posted, or a link to such a diagram? He can find the parts, we just need to help the new member out with some direction. I looked in the Field Service Manual, and their drawings are not very clear. Thanks. Old Dart 66

I have a FSM for 66, I can check it for a decent diagram but this won't happen till after work tomorrow. I have a handful of other Mopar books that can be checked also. As a last resort, I have the same column in my 66 Valiant which is getting changed over to an A833OD floor shift. If there's no hurry on your end I can take photos as it comes apart to get rebuilt to remove the column shift stuff and change it to a floor shift column.

BTW, that will be a very cool ride.

I have a FSM for 66, I can check it for a decent diagram but this won't happen till after work tomorrow. I have a handful of other Mopar books that can be checked also. As a last resort, I have the same column in my 66 Valiant which is getting changed over to an A833OD floor shift. If there's no hurry on your end I can take photos as it comes apart to get rebuilt to remove the column shift stuff and change it to a floor shift column.

BTW, that will be a very cool ride.

Hey Half, Looks like Ryan bought an OEM column, so with that said, a rebuild, on his current column won't happen. Therefore, he wont be needing the exploded view; however, I would not mind having that view. I looked in the FSM, and, that view is not very detailed. Thanks. Old Dart 66

Put it up in the technical diagram section. They have some strange stuff up there, many insulating washers and wedge bolts.

Put it up in the technical diagram section. They have some strange stuff up there, many insulating washers and wedge bolts.

Just Plain Great. I am sure that there are many other members who will thank you as well. The more info, the better on these old Early A sweetheart cars. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Old Dart 66

Hey Phista. Under where? I looked and could not seem to find it, or AMI just a Dah today. Thanks. Old Dart 66

Hey Phista. Under where? I looked and could not seem to find it, or AMI just a Dah today. Thanks. Old Dart 66
I found a similar diagram for a 69 Charger

Steering Column 1969 Charger.JPG

nah, you gotta go deeper than that. The wedge bolts seem to attach the 66's 'bulb' right under the steering wheel to the column itself as there is no visible fasteners outside.

"...The collar slides over the top of the column and indexes clockwise, there being a large keyway in the top of the column. The hub, which houses both the turn signal switch as well as the upper shaft bearing, slides on next. Securing the hub to the column is the most difficult part of the reassembly and requires a bit of practice. Two square-headed bolts serve as retainers, pinching the top of the column as they are tightened down in equal measures (won’t wrench one side down at a time).

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

Above: Possibly the toughest part of the rebuild is attaching the hub to the column. Chrysler uses these two square-headed bolts to apply tension to the column by slowly tightening down both sides simultaneously. This will take several tries to get right, particularly in getting the bolt heads to properly “perch” on the column. You’ve been warned.

-
Back