1966 Plymouth Valiant power steering question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys, before I post in the want ad section, I need to know what I am getting into here. I am building a 66 Valiant 200. it is a slant 6. It has power steering. This car is for my wife. I also have another 66 Valiant 100 that I will be building after I get hers done that isnt power steering. I would like to put power steering on mine. Looking at the two cars it looks like all I need are the P.S.Bracket on the engine, P. S. pump, steering box and a steering column. Am I about right here or is there more.

And a correct Pitman arm for the power steering box.
Be aware that not all PS boxes have the same size sector shaft.
Plus the power box takes a different pot coupler than the manual box.

OK guys, before I post in the want ad section, I need to know what I am getting into here. I am building a 66 Valiant 200. it is a slant 6. It has power steering. This car is for my wife. I also have another 66 Valiant 100 that I will be building after I get hers done that isnt power steering. I would like to put power steering on mine. Looking at the two cars it looks like all I need are the P.S.Bracket on the engine, P. S. pump, steering box and a steering column. Am I about right here or is there more.
It's a slant 6 car too? If a 273, you'll need a 90 degree fitting for the pressure hose too. If you get the correct small sector shaft steering gear, the pitman arm is the same. So, in review, Pump with appropriate brackets and pulley, pressure and return hoses, box with correct control valve and fittings, crank pulley and bolts, steering column center shaft with P/S type coupler, and the correct belt.

It's a slant 6 car too? If a 273, you'll need a 90 degree fitting for the pressure hose too. If you get the correct small sector shaft steering gear, the pitman arm is the same. So, in review, Pump with appropriate brackets and pulley, pressure and return hoses, box with correct control valve and fittings, crank pulley and bolts, steering column center shaft with P/S type coupler, and the correct belt.
sounds to me like it will stay a non power steering car.lol

I would like to put power steering on mine. Looking at the two cars it looks like all I need are the P.S.Bracket on the engine, P. S. pump, steering box and a steering column.
You don't need a whole steering column, just the shorter steering shaft from a PS-equipped car, which you can swap into your existing column.

All '62-'66 A-bodies use the same pitman arm, whether power or nonpower steering. Interchange on the power steering box is '62-'72 A- and B-body.
ok, that is great news. I have a 70 Duster power steering car sitting here, so the power steering box off that will work.

-
Back