1966 Plymouth Valiant (Project Ex)

-
Reaction score
I have owned this car for close to 10 years now but I am finally going to start going on it.
I enjoy driving it as-is so it hasnt big a big priority to do anything to it.

I refer to it as Project Ex as a play on the Project X of Hot Rod and because it is about the only thing my ex didnt take in the divorce. LOL

Here are some pics as it is now. This weekend I am stripping the rest of the interior to coat the floorpans. I put new pans in 2 years ago and never got around to coating them.

It is a 1966 Plymouth Valiant with a 273, automatic, heater and radio delete car.

Plans for the car are a complete resto with a color change to copper. (I have gone back and forth between copper and blue but I think copper is it.)
It will also have the 66 Barracuda stripes on the hood and trunk when finished. The Plymouth lettering on the hood and decklid will be gone and the holes filled.

I am also going to add a radio, heat and a/c, and front disc brakes. I will be keeping the bench seat and changing the interior to black.

And I will be adding 1966 Barracuda grilles in place of the Valiant grilles.

I will update pics as I do work on the car. It will be a slow process as time and money allow.

DSCF1032-1.jpg

valiantleftside-1.jpg

valiantfromrightview-1.jpg

valiantfromrightrearview-1.jpg

valiantengine-1.jpg

valiantdash-1.jpg

DSCF1040-1.jpg

valiantsidewfrank-1.jpg

valiantfront-1.jpg

Looks like a nice project, I love the 66's. That body style looks awesome in copper.
Good luck the project and keep us posted.

Wow !! you have a V8 66 sedan looking forward to this build Frank 8) I bet they did not make many of them with heater delete and radio delete with a V8
I like 66 valiant's as you can see.
I like the stripe idea your are talking about, I thought about putting a single strip on mine
not in the middle but over the drivers side like a Ralley racer, But then I thought I would keep it the way she is granny look. our dash/int color is the same, That make 4 members here with the same car and the same int color 8)

Attachments

• Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 359
  • 66%20day%20after%20007.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 370
Love 66's. Can't get enough of them. Look forward to seeing the progress.

So THIS is Victoria! Great car, I love the 66 Valiant!

Sounds like you got good plans, looking forward to how it comes together. All the best. :thumbup:

I got a friend with Barracuda grills in his 66 Valiant, some of y'all might know him, nice car with either a 360 or 340, can't recall..

Attachments

• 66 Valiant. 1.1.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 358
Ha! Wildcat!

where are all the portland area early-A guys hiding, it would be nice to have a little meet and greet:cheers:

Oh my god! Your friend was attacked by flies. How horrible.

LLLLLMMMMMAAAAOOOOO:toothy10: One of the best comments ever... :cheers:

Man I LOVE looking at the super NICE 66' models we have on here, keeps the motivation going! Let's see some more!

LOL.
Yeah it's the dude at Wildcat. Didn't figure he'd appreciate me posting his face w/o asking.

I'm actually out east, haven't been to Portland in awhile. And I guess the /6 club down there sorta faded out, haven't gotten a quarterly in years.

Well apparently I moved my original pictures so I am reposting them since I cant edit to add them back.

I have done a little to it but not as much as I want. I have been collecting parts. I have just about everything I need.

I have done some more work on the floors. I have the Barracuda grilles and center fish.

I actually have 2 of the center grille fish. I bought a set of Barracuda grilles and doors from a guy. When I asked about the center fish he said he was keeping it cause his kid liked it. Then the guy said he would sell it but I had to pay extra to get it. It was worth it because it is in better shape than the one I had. He took it right off the kids wall. LOL

My plan is to get more done this winter. My son just put in a bid on a house with a HUGE garage so I will hopefully have extra space soon.

Also, I have been asked many times what engine Im going to put in it. My answer is this one. I am keeping the 273. Just a rebuild and back in the car. It has plenty of power for my needs and purrs like a kitten so why go with anything else?

I am still debating on whether to change to a four barrel though. The only reason I would is because I have a dual snorkel breather that I powder coated in wrinkle black about 15 years ago and it has never been on a car since.

DSCF1718.jpg

DSCF1719.jpg

DSCF1720.jpg

DSCF1721.jpg

valiantengine-1.jpg

valiantfromleftview-1.jpg

valiantfromrightrearview-1.jpg

valiantdash-1.jpg

DSCF1040-1.jpg

DSCF1117.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1019.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

Come on out to the picnic. You dont have to be a member and you will have a good time.

That park at Redtop Mountain is really nice. We have a good lunch of grilled hot dogs and hamburgers plus all kinds of side dishes.

And you get to talk cars. Cant beat it.

-
Back