1966 slant six 170 timing mark

-
Yup, .017 to .023 is correct. Did you check with a dwell meter? I always do. They can slip when you make the final tighten.
I didnt check with a dwell. I do have one my neighbor or gave me. Just need to research how to use it/ where readings should be. Wouldn't that only work if the motor is running?

I didnt check with a dwell. I do have one my neighbor or gave me. Just need to research how to use it/ where readings should be. Wouldn't that only work if the motor is running?
No. It will work fine as long as the engine spins over. Ground lead to ground and other lead to distributor side of coil. Set to the correct scale and spin the engine. Dwell should be 40-45 degrees.

No. It will work fine as long as the engine spins over. Ground lead to ground and other lead to distributor side of coil. Set to the correct scale and spin the engine. Dwell should be 40-45 degrees.
I dont think my dwell is right. Just tried it and it's around 21/22. When I stop cranking ot goes all the way to the left at 60. Do I need set the point gap closer?

I dont think my dwell is right. Just tried it and it's around 21/22. When I stop cranking ot goes all the way to the left at 60. Do I need set the point gap closer?
Doesn't matter what it is when it's not spinning. Needs to be 40-45 degrees when spinning. Needs to be closed up more. The dwell angle is the number of degrees the points are closed.

Doesn't matter what it is when it's not spinning. Needs to be 40-45 degrees when spinning. Needs to be closed up more. The dwell angle is the number of degrees the points are closed.
I got the points gapped to 18 and that brought the dwell up to about 30. Just to make sure I'm setting the gap correctly, I measure when it'd resting on the point of the cam in the distributor not the flat part correct?

I got the points gapped to 18 and that brought the dwell up to about 30. Just to make sure I'm setting the gap correctly, I measure when it'd resting on the point of the cam in the distributor not the flat part correct?
Adjust the dwell with the engine spinning. Dammit you're makin this hard. Loosen the screw so it's snug enough to hold the points in place, but you can still make your adjustment with the screwdriver. Spin the engine watching the dwell meter and adjust to spec and tighten the screw and recheck.

Adjust the dwell with the engine spinning. Dammit you're makin this hard. Loosen the screw so it's snug enough to hold the points in place, but you can still make your adjustment with the screwdriver. Spin the engine watching the dwell meter and adjust to spec and tighten the screw and recheck.
Sorry rusty, not trying to make it difficult man. I've never delt with points so it's a learning experience, we are all dumb in something. I'll give it a shot and see what happens when the storms clear out. Thanks again for your help.

Sorry rusty, not trying to make it difficult man. I've never delt with points so it's a learning experience, we are all dumb in something. I'll give it a shot and see what happens when the storms clear out. Thanks again for your help.
You ain't dumb. You're askin for help. That makes you smart. Just barely crack the screw loose enough so you can adjust the points spin the engine and watch the meter as you adjust. You'll get the hang of it.

-
Back