1966 Valiant dash cluster wiring question

-

Double M

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
On my '66 Valiant, the fuel and temp gauges don't quite go all the way to where they should be. By wiggling wires (main cluster feed, and bulk head connections, I've had the guages go all the way, proper, and now showing low.

The wiring on this car hasn't been hacked, is pretty cherry.

I reached behind the dash and wiggled the voltage regulator, then pulled the ash tray so I could see back there, pulled the regulator, and noticed a condenser bolted to the back of the cluster and the wire wasn't connected to anything. It has a spade connector on the end and looks factory. Almost looks like it could be plugged in with the regulator.

Other than that everything works fine. Anybody have any ideas or pictures? I've looked and couldn't find anything, and schematics give me a headache.

Thanks,

Russ.

Lots and LOTS of posts on this subject

The pins on the PC board may be loose corroded, preventing "solid" voltage from reaching the cluster. The gauge VR receives 12V from the ignition run buss (dark blue) So solder the pins, inspect, clean. Make sure the harness connector terminals fit tight on the pins

The connector for the VR may not be making contact. One mine, there are brass contact fingers that form a "socket" for the VR. These were not making contact with the board, and I had to solder jumpers across from the brass contacts to the board traces

The VR may be bad

The gauge studs / nuts may not be making contact with the board, loose, corrosion. Replace the speed nuts with "real" nuts, and tighten/ loosen/ tighten the nuts to scrub the board clean

Since both gauges are giving trouble, the above describes the common circuit path to both.

From the gauges, individual wires lead to the fuel/ temp senders.

Thanks 67. Do you know anything about the condenser? Looking at the back of the dash (laying on my back), it's bolted to the right of where the regulator plugs in, a little above and right of the ammeter studs. Looks like a condenser like in a distributor, and the male spade connector is bent at a 90.

Thanks again,

Russ.

That condenser is to suppress the make & break electrical noise that the radio can sometimes pick up, same for condenser in points distributor.

The bent spade tucks in with one of the three legs of limiter. Now just which one: 12v, 5v, or ground leg I can’t recall due to a major brain fart, but someone will chime in with the correct placement.

Thanks wjajr. That's the info I needed. I took a spade connecter and crawled back under the dash and tried all three slots. The middle slot is where it must go. The spade fit tight on the end slots and was super loose on the center slot, and would have just fell out. Now the gauges work again.

Thanks again,

Russ.

-
Back