1966 Valiant

-

Snafu1

Reaction score
Hellow fellow forum members. I am new to this forum and I need some help. I have a 1966 Playmouth Valiant 200. I am rebuilding the steering column, it is automatic and shifts on the column. I have some part numbers from the factory repair book. Can anyone suggest where to look for these parts? Maybe some one might have them, here are the numbers:
2265 656, 2162 480, 2265 658, 2643 645, 2768 218, 2660 140. I hope I posted this in the right forum. Thank you for any help!
Thanks,
Snafu1

The steering wheel flopes around in the steering tube. The parts I need are steering column shaft bearing, it is the small bearing on the shaft that the steering wheel mounts to part # 2265 656. Also there are two felt seals that the steering shaft goes through and keeps it from hitting the inside of the column tube part # 2643 645. Then on the bottom of the column towards the coupler for the gear box, there is a plastic seal with rubber. The book calls it a steering column gearshat tube bearing part # 2660 140. I am sorry I can not show the pictures from the book, I will try if it helps. I guess I just need all the bearings, bushings and seals for the stock column.
Thanks,
Snafu1

SP-9415 All 66-71 Models $ 34.95 ea.

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm

BUT>>> Get the id and the OD and take them to your local Grainger or industrial supply house. they have books of bearings and you can match it to a generic size for about 2 bucks. and the lower bearing/seal? I heard that some lower suspension boot is a perfect seal for the end of the steeing column to keep heat and gas from coming up the tube. Since yours is a 3 on the tree, there may be another bearing down there, but the normal column doesnt need a bearing down there as the steering box input shaft is the 2nd bearing in the stearing shaft. No need for one in the middle, and it may actually be off center there due to manufacturing tolerances in the K or steering box mount.

Welcome to FABO! The lower seal/bearing has been reproduced and is available at most restoration sources for under $40. The upper bearing is pretty bulletproof and finding one used should be no problem. I have one if you can't find one closer. If you think you need the felt washers, they should be easy to make. I don't think they do anything important. They certainly aren't strong enough to hold the shaft centered.

Thank you all for the help! cudamark can you send me a link or suggest a vender who has the lower bearing. Thanks to all.
Snafu1

Frank Mitchell has them for $49.95 plus shipping on E-bay and Layson's has them for $45 plus shipping. I'm sure other places like Year One will have them too. I bought mine at a Mopar Car show and got them for $35-40 each. I think one of them was MrMoparts if they're still around.

-
Back