1966 with gear vendor

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Building a 66 dart. Gt with a magnum based 408. La heads. And a gear vendor overdrive. Will post more pictures and a write up on what I had to do..here is 408 going in it

20210212_105757_HDR.jpg

Had to do some cutting to get gv to fit...was told it would go right in. Wrong.

The GV
adaptor is much larger then the stock. You can tell in these pictures

20210212_113128.jpg

20210212_113119.jpg

Install in minutes with simple hand tools, right? This sounds like an awesome car. Please post some more pictures when it is done!

Install in minutes with simple hand tools, right? This sounds like an awesome car. Please post some more pictures when it is done!
I will. I have everything I need. Just have to do the work...

All told, Much easier then a OD Mopar transmission. Did not have to fabricate a new cross member...

This is all just fabed up. Now to take it back out and weld in a new trans hump....And repaint.

I had one in a 71 Challenger, and it barely fit after beating the living crap out of the floor pan where the OD unit itself rode. My cross member fit fine....but it was an E body with a much bigger tunnel. The worst part about GV overdrives is the electronics. I didn't have any trouble out of the one in the Challenger, but an RV I bought already had one in it, and both the electronic control, and the shift solenoid on the OD unit took a crap and had to be replaced. Knowing what I know now....I'll use an A500 or A518 if I ever want OD in another Mopar. You're doing a nice install, and I hope it works well for you!

:thumbsup:

I had one in a 71 Challenger, and it barely fit after beating the living crap out of the floor pan where the OD unit itself rode. My cross member fit fine....but it was an E body with a much bigger tunnel. The worst part about GV overdrives is the electronics. I didn't have any trouble out of the one in the Challenger, but an RV I bought already had one in it, and both the electronic control, and the shift solenoid on the OD unit took a crap and had to be replaced. Knowing what I know now....I'll use an A500 or A518 if I ever want OD in another Mopar. You're doing a nice install, and I hope it works well for you!

The controller is made by MSD.

Those trans were on my short list....Just required relocating the cross member....And issue with Console fitting in stock location...

I put one in my 67 Barracuda notch behind a 904 with no cutting. I lowered the crossmember about an inch and put the controller in the console.

The controller is made by MSD.

The older controllers were from GV and had issues. I just replaced mine with the updated MSD controller and it works like it’s supposed to again. I don’t know exactly when they switched over to the MSD unit.

I hope the MSD is better and bullet proof. It's nice to set it and forget it. I ran a bypass wire to the dimmer switch control in the floor, so I could get home with the RV. The GV that I had in the Challenger.....it was fun splitting gears for a few days, and it quickly became more trouble than it was worth! I did like the way it toned the 3.55 gears down on the interstate though!

I put one in my 67 Barracuda notch behind a 904 with no cutting. I lowered the crossmember about an inch and put the controller in the console.
Yes 66 a lot different. Very limited room under there...

-
Back