1967-1969 Barracuda Fastback Cargo

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
What is the correct way to install the cargo carpet in the rear section of a barracuda fastback. Originally it was wrapped over the lip and then the piano hinge/folding divider panel installed over. This would appear to interfer with the hinge?

Attachments

• DSCF5223.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 768
  • DSCF5222.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 805
It goes under the hinge but I would need to take mine apart to see how far. You are dealing with a reproduction part so it may need to be trimmed.

EDIT:

I just went and looked. Just roll that carpet over the edge and run the screws through it. The hinge will be the carpet retainer and shouldn't cause any interference.

(At least that what I could tell without pulling mine apart.)

The hinge is not visible from the passenger compartment so that's the only way you could do it.

Put back to original....looks and works great!

Attachments

• DSCF5225.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 808
  • DSCF5226.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 732
  • DSCF5227.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 738
  • DSCF5228.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 795
  • DSCF5229.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 726
did you restore the back side of the hatch door. if so what did you use?

Boy that looks familiar!!
trim1.jpg

I used a product purchased from Benjamin Moore Paint(Canada) called Krylon Outdoor Paint with a textured finish.

Attachments

• DSCF5233.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 700
  • DSCF5232.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 671
  • DSCF5230.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 644
Most of them I have seen has a texture to them, but it is a soft feel, like velvet. maybe? I have seen some smooth black ,but I do not know if that is correct.

Most of them I have seen has a texture to them, but it is a soft feel, like velvet. maybe? I have seen some smooth black ,but I do not know if that is correct.

I agree. I just went out and had a good look at mine (a 62,000 mile car).

It is a fine texture that only camouflages the natural wood-grain but does not fully hide it.

For someone restoring one of these my best guess would be to find a light textured paint and use a dry spray stacking process (hold the spray can high allowing multiple thin coats to fall on the panel) until about 80% of the wood-grain becomes difficult to see.

Next, go over the panel with a satin black until you have an even color.

One question would be: Were these finished by a person or a machine in the manufacturing process?

If they were finished be a person, what is "correct" could be all over the place.

Did the person on the line texture the panel for 30 seconds while talking to his buddy?

Did he fart and giggle, Spraying more texture on the left side than the right?

Did he spend 1 minute spraying product because he was mad at his boss and wanted to "Show the company" by wasting product?

It feels like a flocking material, sort of like it has fibers embedded in it. It is rather thick on the 65 divider,I have 3 boards and all are very similar.

My mistake. I just looked close and it is a very fine velvet like finish.I guess I should double check before posting! lol..:banghead:

How did your carpets match up to the shape of the wood? I have an ACC carpet set and the piece for that was way off. I had to cut and glue extra pieces of carpet to the side to get it to fully cover the trunk divider. It looks ok but they should definitely cut their piece bigger so you can trim the edges instead of having to add to it.

How did your carpets match up to the shape of the wood? I have an ACC carpet set and the piece for that was way off. I had to cut and glue extra pieces of carpet to the side to get it to fully cover the trunk divider. It looks ok but they should definitely cut their piece bigger so you can trim the edges instead of having to add to it.

Mine was in the shape of the cut out and they left a little more for me to trim off(Legendary Auto Interiors). I would get them to send you another piece as it won't make a difference to anybody but yourself?

can the side panels in the cargo area be painted? if so whats recomended

Yes... If they are like mine were the vinyl was torn and gouged then go with the carpet. Only deluxe interior cars got the carpet I believe, but short of finding good ones it is the easiest thing to do. If the vinyl is good then the dye can be bought to rejuvenate them. Totaly auto, herbs, year one and many others have it available.

They're covered in a thin layer of vinyl right? I'd use SEM color coat. It looks amazing and has held up very well to scratches so far. You need to use their plastic adhesion promoter with it. Those side pieces are fairly large so if you're spraying with a rattle can you'll need to use a bunch of very light coats to get a uniformed look. If you try and rush it and spray on heavy, you'll get some sections that look glossier than others.

-
Back