1967 - 1969 barracuda Instrument Cluster Lights Out

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
The instrument lights are partially working with the right side out(fuel; temperature..).
The bulbs and fuses are good and the ones that are working are dim?

I had that issue myself, clean the contacts on the on the circuit board. I cleaned the light bulb socket terminals as well, even pulled more tension on the contact wings on the socket, then make sure you have proper continuity from all grounding points...lastly I bench tested my cluster. No problems since then.

Don't worry, that's why we are here...to help each other out.
Use your 12 volt car battery, you're going to need some wire to use as your jumpers. The negative side will go to the frame, the positive side will be your 12 volt source. Make sure you identify which one is your light bulb pin. Since your lights are working I would just test the light bulbs. Put the negative wire to one contact and the positive wire to the other contact of the bul
b. Test the light bulbs first and make sure they all shine equal.

Don't worry, that's why we are here...to help each other out.
Use your 12 volt car battery, you're going to need some wire to use as your jumpers. The negative side will go to the frame, the positive side will be your 12 volt source. Make sure you identify which one is your light bulb pin. Since your lights are working I would just test the light bulbs. Put the negative wire to one contact and the positive wire to the other contact of the bul
b. Test the light bulbs first and make sure they all shine equal.

Thanks will give this a go!

the left and right sides are on two different circuit boards. I would check and make sure you have a good ground first..

Maybe a good ground would be as simple as putting some screws in as I have not buttoned it up yet? Will have another look at it on the weekend. Thanks!

8 bulbs total, 4 illumination, 4 indicaters. All except the park brake indicator use the same chassis ground path which is parts and hardware.
A perminant dedicated ground wire is strongly recommended.
Illumination power is orange wires, 1 in the round connector, 1 in the smaller inline connector. There is a splice under the harness wrap where these 2 wires are joined.
Check power at both orange wires. Look closely at every bulb socket. The tiny ears that hold them in place tend to snap off. I have the NAPA part number for those here somewhere.
8 new sockets and 8 new bulbs will be pricey but again, strongly recommended. The more you feck around with the panel the more change of breaking something.
The printed circuit boards are too simple. If you can get the rabbit to the Trix on the back if the cereal box you can read these boards. Set the panel on a work bench, get a couple of jumper wires with aligator clips and test everything.
My customers take their panel out and put it back once and done, for a very long time. The do it yourselfers do it repeatedly. Good luck with yours.

8 bulbs total, 4 illumination, 4 indicaters. All except the park brake indicator use the same chassis ground path which is parts and hardware.
A perminant dedicated ground wire is strongly recommended.
Illumination power is orange wires, 1 in the round connector, 1 in the smaller inline connector. There is a splice under the harness wrap where these 2 wires are joined.
Check power at both orange wires. Look closely at every bulb socket. The tiny ears that hold them in place tend to snap off. I have the NAPA part number for those here somewhere.
8 new sockets and 8 new bulbs will be pricey but again, strongly recommended. The more you feck around with the panel the more change of breaking something.
The printed circuit boards are too simple. If you can get the rabbit to the Trix on the back if the cereal box you can read these boards. Set the panel on a work bench, get a couple of jumper wires with aligator clips and test everything.
My customers take their panel out and put it back once and done, for a very long time. The do it yourselfers do it repeatedly. Good luck with yours.

Thank you will have a go at it on the weekend!

Used everyones advice: checked the bulbs; incoming power from the orange wires, cleaned the bulb socket housings; bench tested the circuit board; installed dedicated ground wire from circuit board to frame; replaced bulb sockets and...... it works I have lights. Thanks again for your help!!! The car goes to my mechanic next week for final tuning, then off to the detailer for wet sanding / polishing and then put the shiny bits on and ready for Spring/Summer. Final pics to be uploaded.

-
Back