1967 273 cam suggestions

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebble beach

Reaction score
Hi Mopar world
I have a question that I hope to get some help with. I am currently running a 273 in my 67 Dart and looking for cam suggestions. I am running stock exhaust manifolds with 318 heads, air gap 2 intake and a 650 cfm edelbrock carb. Stock 904 trans and converter, looking for a cam and spring kit that won’t break the budget and would wake this little V-8 up. Summit suggested many cams with different duration but haven’t told me on a specific one
Thanks in advance for you help

What u have for pistons will make an difference.
True that.
@Pebble beach, 2 barrel pistons and open chamber 318 heads and your compression will be so low any cam but the stock one will loose you power. Sorry to say but you may have a bad combination. The stock cam was a solid lifter grind in 67. Your's may have gotten changed to hydraulic. You need to be careful with cam's and what correct parts you need to make them work.

No suggestion on my part but do give Jim @ Racer Brown a call. Tell him exactly what you have and he can give you recommendations or custom grind one based on what you have. That’s what he did for my 66/235 HP 273

I would go with something in the 256-262 advertised duration range, like one of the smaller Lunati Voodoo cams.

I'd go voodoo 253 or 256 or comp xe 250 or 256 or others cams with similar cam specs.
Whatever cam you choose I'd keep on the smaller side, what gears you running?

The OP should run a compression check and get back to us. There are some very small flat tappet Oregon hydraulic grinds that come to mind that could be done from a stock cam core that could possibly make a fairly good low end to mid range improvement in that. The small fast rate cams are good, too, but it’s going to need something in the 100-104 ICL range. When your taking a chance on a cam like this being too large,
Howards Cams 710011-12 Howards Cams Street Force 1 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing, you may want to start looking at a small fleebay turbocharger to wake it up.

I would use the Comp 270S sol lifter grind. It has a variable duration feature that allows the duration to change because of the 0.015" adjustment range of the lash.

Isn't 67 hydraulic ?

I Thought that from the 1st year 67 318 that both 273/318 were identical other than bore.

A stock hydraulic roller from a 5.2 magnum with .252 lobe lift with the 116 LSA installed at 100-104 would work pretty well. But I expect to see compression numbers in the Briggs & Stratton 3-1/2 hp zone… of course, quality link bar hydraulic roller lifters will eat the budget pretty fast, too. Look in the oil fill hole and see if you can see the rocker arms to let us know what it’s got.

Last edited:
I would use the Comp 270S sol lifter grind. It has a variable duration feature that allows the duration to change because of the 0.015" adjustment range of the lash.
That cam has 224@50.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What ever cam you use i would advance it at least 4 degrees, help build up some cylinder pressure, if your motor is original you should have adjustable rocker Arms, i would run a 500 cfm carb instead though, I agree with RRR 258-262 duration Max i would lean more for the 256-260 duration

A stock hydraulic roller from a 5.2 magnum with .252 lobe lift with the 116 LSA installed at 100-104 would work pretty well.
I hate myself for this, but may as well say it before some other wiseacre beats me to the chase… just get the rest of the 5.2 (or a 5.9 Magnum) for a retrofit. I promise that’ll wake it up!

Isn't 67 hydraulic ?

I Thought that from the 1st year 67 318 that both 273/318 were identical other than bore.
According to Hemmings, first year for hydraulic lifters is 1968, like Mike said.

I hate myself for this, but may as well say it before some other wiseacre beats me to the chase… just get the rest of the 5.2 (or a 5.9 Magnum) for a retrofit. I promise that’ll wake it up!
Wiseacre. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back