1967 Barracuda Big Block Car - Power Steering Question

-

STEFF

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just picked up a 67 Barracuda, factory 383 project, to restore. The car came with power steering. He's trying to identify the correct power steering pump, hoses etc. Does anyone have the correct part numbers for the pump, hoses, pulley, brackets etc.... Also, where is the part number located on the pump? Annnnnd, anyone with pics of what the correct pump etc... looks like, could you please post some? Thanx!!!!

I have a 68 factory 383 it was my understanding that power streering was not an option.

I thought the same thing factory big block a bodies couldnt fit power steering so it wasnt even available someone please correct me if i am wrong though. Justin

well whoever gave you that info is full of it. p/s was as simple as checking the box on the order form. for all 67-68-69 cuda and darts.

as far as id'ing the box with part #'s.. 62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same box, and i don't think the p/n changed. all boxes pre 1974 where of the small sector design.

powersteering pumps where either the chrysler unit, or the early saginaw one. both can be ID'd by there round bodies with a long cylinder shaped fill tube. the chrylser unit is the smaller of the two. the late saginaw pump body is more rectangular shaped with a very short fill tube.

power steering hoses are still available, but obviously the part #'s and lettering will not be the same. hope this helps.

I know for sure that M-code 440 '69s could not be ordered with P/S, and I may be wrong, but I thought 67-383s as well. Although 68/69 383s could.

Grant

i checked my sales code book and there is no mention of the
"S77 Steering power" NOT being available. but i can only
confirm this for the 69 "M" code 440 Dart GTS.

You need one of these. I'd look it up for you but I can't find mine. I think I loaned it to a "thief". This book is by Paul Herd

I think they make one for earlier years.

001 resized.jpg

You need one of these. I'd look it up for you but I can't find mine. I think I loaned it to a "thief". This book is by Paul Herd

I think they make one for earlier years.

i gotta hollander catalog.. pretty much covers everything under the sun.
i have a original dealer sales code book that i use for references.

Thanx for the info fella's!! Talking to my friend, he doesn't have a fender tag or build sheet, but he does have the original sales paper work from the dealer & power steering was on the order sheet. I suggested to him to try to locate the original owner of the car, to see if he remembered anything about the car, but he said the guy is deceased.

Question about the two early power steering pumps, which one would have been used in 67'?........both or one specifically????????

that i would have no idea. but if i where to guess, it would be the early saginaw unit. it had more PSI then the chrysler one.. and would help to steer the b-engine front end better.
i'll try to confirm that and get back to yah.

*EDIT*

heres a original 67 a-body 383 (muticolored but original lol). and that pump is the early saginaw
unit.

engine1.jpg

-
Back