1967 Barracuda Notchback 440 Project

-
Awesome project!!!!

Thank you! Now if I could make faster progress.
Now that I'm "out of school" for the summer (not really out, I'll be going to school for 4 weeks this summer to get my 440 dropped in) and I got ASE exams out of my hair, this summer should promise lots of progress.

I've had to do LOTS of rust repair, but I'm almost done. Just finishing up the engine compartment. I'll update as soon as I get home, I'm out of town for a bit, visiting family.

Thanks again for the kind words! :D

I love the 67 barracuda coupes.I heard they were 100 lbs. lighter than a fastback.I built a 67 coupe using a 440 from a friends 69 charger.I used a motor plate with a rubber tranny mount. Mine had the 4 piston front disc brakes so I just added new pads. I switched from ps to manual.A friend gave me a fast ratio manual box and I cut the charger steering column shaft with a pipe cutter,welded on a borgeson u joint and it was good to go. I found a glass factory type hood and added the chrome 68 inserts onto it.A friend had an 8 3/4 A body rear that was used with a ladder bar suspension.I cut them off,installed the rearend to a set of new ss springs with a snubber. I bought an angle finder,protractor?, and set the perches on the springs.I then set pinion angle 5 degrees down and welded the perches on.I used the small pinion 741 case with 3.90 gears. I used a set of the 67 A body big block manifolds and ran 14.40s.I bought a set of 1 7/8 hooker fenderwell headers,brought it to the track and ran consistant 12.60s.It was sweet both on the street and strip.I had the water pump housing milled 1/4 inch,the thichness of the motor plate ,so the pullies would align. I used a flow cooler water pump. I will always remember that car.I sold her way to cheap but the experience will last me a life time.Your car brings back sweet memories.

Yes, you are correct on the B-body rear end. I just went through the rebuild of my B-body rear end all through the last couple weeks. I bought a '68 housing and axles complete with brakes and backing plates for $150. I needed new seals and bearings, so I went with the new Green Bearing setup from Doctor Diff. I bought a 742 case 3.55 clutch type sure grip from a guy in San Jose for $420 and started assembly...I had to buy all new drums and shoes and brake hardware though as it all needed to be rebuilt. I had my buddy weld new spring perches on it at the specified length. (moved a 1/2" in on each side)
> Thanks for the tip. Just need a little more info. I also plan to use 6.5" back space wheels (17"x10"). Not having to "narrow" a housing, would be a plus. Mini tubs ? ateam:toothy10:

Thank you! Now if I could make faster progress.
Now that I'm "out of school" for the summer (not really out, I'll be going to school for 4 weeks this summer to get my 440 dropped in) and I got ASE exams out of my hair, this summer should promise lots of progress.

I've had to do LOTS of rust repair, but I'm almost done. Just finishing up the engine compartment. I'll update as soon as I get home, I'm out of town for a bit, visiting family.

Thanks again for the kind words! :D
> Roughly similar to my build in Winchester. 67' cuda coupe,a little more on the customized side and "tryin" for a sbm. Hemi conversion. Let's chat, ateam.:cheers:

So it's been quite awhile since I've posted any updates on the Cuda, but I've made some progress I promise! Now if I could just get better at taking more pictures. :)

Anyway, I test fit my 440 with the headers, everything seemed to clear pretty well, considering I didn't know exactly what headers I was buying at the time, althought they look like TTI's to me (440-1 and 440-2 stamped on the flanges).
They do trap the starter though. Maybe an older version of them?

The car has been fully coated with truck bed liner, both underneath and inside. All the rust has been taken care of.

I got the suspension altogether and finally got my wheels on, pretty stoked. :)

These are the parts I've used so far:

Hotchkiss leafs, 1" lower.
Hotchkiss shocks (Bilstein's).
Hellwig sway bars 1 1/4" tubular front and 7/82 solid rear.
Just Suspension 1.00" torsion bars.
C-Body big block motor mounts.
Mustang rims machined to fit the hub.
B-body 8 3/4.
'73 K-Member with relocated motor mounts (DC style).

I'm in the process now of cleaning up the firewall, I welded shut the heater core and blower motor holes, as well as the wiring harness hole and other miscellaneous mounting holes. I plan on routing the wiring elsewhere, probably encased in tubing or something to make it look cleaner and most importantly, protect it from the elements.

I'll be posting some more updated pictures soon! :D

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/evelbmxican/1967 Barracuda/

IMG00432-20110520-1531.jpg

IMG00431-20110520-1323.jpg

IMG00433-20110520-1532.jpg

Lookin real good. And I agree, no substitute for cubic inches.

Attachments

• 100_0137.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,247
great build i have a white 67 notch myself looked very similar to what you started with im also running bullitt wheels 17x8 front 18x10 rear deep dish

Here's a few pictures, just finishing cleaning up the firewall.
I have to figure out what paint color soon... I need to paint the engine bay and drop in the motor for the last time.

Stuck in between doing a dark charcoal gray or the bright Mopar green with AAR style stripes and blacked out hood.

Desicions desicions :D

IMG00461-20110608-2203.jpg

IMG00460-20110608-2202.jpg

So it's been quite awhile since I've posted something on the car build. Just been super busy, but finally I am getting more time to work on my car. I am in the process of rebuilding the manual steering box with a 20:1 ratio worm gear.

I just to locate some seals. I know Firm Feel sells them, but they are a bit pricey. I found the worm shaft seal (#7412), just need to find the sector shaft seal then make a gasket.

Then pack with grease, paint and install and the front end will be done! Slowly but surely... :D

cb7c6f08.jpg

-
Back