1967 Dodge Dart

-

Allen1313

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought this car yesterday but I can’t tell if it is dart GT or GTS? Any tips, it has the GT on the fenders but GTS on the Hood. It is 1967. Thank you

78B51400-E6DD-4AA5-AAA8-8360049E99C5.jpeg

AEAF2916-C4BF-4246-925A-B2DAE6F98A64.jpeg

B6E23CDE-505E-4709-8E3B-ED10EFD993CC.png

37D585C3-FE5D-4510-B3E1-E1BB2B8C6ABC.png

E53BB012-BAEF-42F6-8C10-DD434900BBFD.jpeg

FF9ADDD0-BFBA-4F38-9DB8-F048BF5C66E3.png

First, that is not a 67 hood, 67 had only "flat" hood, no bulges
Second, "GT" was a cosmetic and interior package, bucket seats chrome, etc. You could even get a slant 6 GT

However your pictures are very small, but I do not see "GT" chrome which in 67 ran front to rear all along the fender/ door/ quarter "break over" point. So if it is a GT the chrome may be removed, I just cannot see it in photos.

I THINK all 67 GT (may be option) also had a wide chrome strip under the doors, and I do not see that on yours, again, could have been removed. Repaint, bodywork, etc

GTS in 67 was a 383 (big block, distributor in front) and can be verified by VIN

If it's a V8 and has distributor in back, you will have to look "further." Stock V8 in 67 was 273, but someone may have swapped in a 318, 340, or 360

EDIT: I keep finding Google pics with power bulge hood am I wrong about that? Anyhow here's a YouTube vid of a 67 showing proper 67 GT chrome. This one however is a GTS with 383 IF it is original

Last edited:
I don’t know, I’m not a dodge person? How would I know if it has a 383?

Show us a picture of the engine. If the distributor is in the front and angled to the passenger side you have a B or RB engine. B engine being a 350/361/383/400 or RB being a one rear only 383, 413, 426 Wedge and 440. If the distributor is to the rear you have a LA (273, 318, 340 or 360). If the engine is leaning to the passenger side and long than you have a Slant 6.

Show us a picture of the engine. If the distributor is in the front and angled to the passenger side you have a B or RB engine. B engine being a 350/361/383/400 or RB being a one rear only 383, 413, 426 Wedge and 440. If the distributor is to the rear you have a LA (273, 318, 340 or 360). If the engine is leaning to the passenger side and long than you have a Slant 6.
This is the only picture I have right now. I will post more pictures tomorrow. I parked it at my friend’s house.
FC48F3C4-9F82-4F9D-AB1F-31F1D260752B.png

G.T.
Someone installed a '68 GTS hood on it, all GTs and '67 GTSs had flat hoods.
You have the '67 GT trunk panel, and '67 GT door panels and trim, but who knows if they're original.
Smallblock V8 of some flavor, since it's obviously been modified, who knows if it's original, either. All '67 GTSs were 383 big blocks.
As 67Dart273 noted, it's missing the fender/door/quarter top trim. Can't make out the fender callouts.
Only the VIN will tell the tale.

Last edited:
What's the 5number in vi e code 2734barrel d code 273 2barrel
G.T.
You have the '67 GT trunk panel, and '67 GT door panels and trim, but who knows if they're original.
Smallblock V8 of some flavor, since it's obviously been modified, who knows if it's original, either.
As 67Dart273 noted, it's missing the fender/door/quarter top trim. Can't make out the fender callouts.

Vin starts with LP23D75

I keep finding Google pics wit
G.T.
Smallblock V8 of some flavor, since it's obviously been modified, who knows if it's original, either.

Thanks that what I "remembered"

I keep finding Google pics wit

Thanks that what I "remembered"
Never saw an original '67 with the power bulge hood, in person, in literature, or advertisements. Like you noticed, they sure seem to be a popular addition, though.
'67 GTSs were a mid/late year introduction to begin with, they didn't tool up that new hood until the '68 model year.

This is the only picture I have right now. I will post more pictures tomorrow.
Post a photo of the tag on the fender behind the battery.

It will have slot of the info.

As 67dart273 noted. If it is a real GT, it is missing a lot of trim.

From the D in your vin at least it started out as a V8.

As others have said the 67 never had anything but a flat hood. And the GTS markings were only on the side of the front fender with the 383 4bbl logo under it.

There is a site http://gtsregistry.com/
That will give you all the info you need about GTS.

161865_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Since you are new to this here are some websites you need to visit.

Mymopay.com
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

Classic industries and year one have a lot of parts you don't have to buy from them as they are mostly a reseller and you can find the same parts other places on the net but it is a good starting place to see what is available.

There are a lot of folks here who can answer your questions.

And there are many surviver cars here for photos etc

What are your plans.

Stock restore
Retro mod
Tribute car
Daily driver

Welcome to FABO

F232D34B-EEB4-4350-8F70-7D25EE80DE1B.jpeg

As others have said the 67 never had anything but a flat hood. And the GTS markings were only on the side of the front fender with the 383 4bbl logo under it.

View attachment 1715645877

Mymopay.com

Classic industries and year one have a lot of parts you don't have to buy from them as they are mostly a reseller and you can find the same parts other places on the net but it is a good starting place to see what is available.

What are your plans.

Stock restore
Retro mod
Tribute car
Daily driver

Welcome to FABO

View attachment 1715645877

Mymopay.com

What are your plans.

Stock restore
Retro mod
Tribute car
Daily driver

Welcome to FABO
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.. My original plan was to restore the car but it looks like it has been
F232D34B-EEB4-4350-8F70-7D25EE80DE1B.jpeg
modified a lot and I’m not sure what is original .... is this the picture that you asked for

Here is what I get from one site that decodes fender tags

CAR: Dodge Dart GT 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.00x13 white Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: May 17.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: Premium Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Two Tone Paint, White (Dodge, Plymouth), Persian White (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Body Color and White (Dodge, Plymouth), Persian White (Chrysler, Imperial) Lower Body Color.
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
15: Unknown Option
29: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
E1: Cleaner Air Package
H1: Power Brakes
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j4: Moulding - Body Sill Narrow

Not every site decodes correctly.

It looks like it was originally dark red ( almost burgundy) maybe with a white vinyl top

If it is a so cal car and basically rust free you could restore it.

Your vin showed it was built in los Angles, doesn't get more so cal than that.

Some of the trim will be hard to find but it can be done.

You could trade your hood for a stock 67 hood easy.

Last edited:
Here is what I get from one site that decodes fender tags

CAR: Dodge Dart GT 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.00x13 white Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: May 17.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: Premium Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Two Tone Paint, White (Dodge, Plymouth), Persian White (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Body Color and White (Dodge, Plymouth), Persian White (Chrysler, Imperial) Lower Body Color.
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
15: Unknown Option
29: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
E1: Cleaner Air Package
H1: Power Brakes
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j4: Moulding - Body Sill Narrow
Thank you so much Dana

To me it looks like a pretty solid foundation to build a nice car. You can build an original looking car and still add some modern touches to make it a nice driver in modern traffic.

67's are my favorite by far. You will spend a small fortune trying to find all of the missing trim. It can be done, but as noted I have restored several of these and had probably 2k in trim alone.

67's are my favorite by far. You will spend a small fortune trying to find all of the missing trim. It can be done, but as noted I have restored several of these and had probably 2k in trim alone.
I bought for 4K, My budget is 8k, hopefully I can have it restored and stay within my budget

I bought for 4K, My budget is 8k, hopefully I can have it restored and stay within my budget

"Restored" is subjective. What are your expectations? I'm well over $30k over 24 years into an non-matching numbers GTS and it isn't a rotisserie, date coded deal either and thats with my dad and I doing the majority of the work. Good paint and body work can be $5k and up if farmed out. I'm not trying to derail your efforts but before you spend any more, evaluate what you have, review what you want out of the car while being realistic in your goals. Ask lots of questions here and you'll get straight answers. I bet there are several members in your area that would look at what you bought and help you with those decisions if need be.

Don't scare the man away.

Get the car drivable and enjoy it. Look for the trim parts you need etc.

You can do a lot of work over time.

If you are looking for a fun car you don't have to do a rotisserie restoration.

-
Back