Status
Not open for further replies.

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Contact seller
Hey everyone, you all may remember this car from my restoration/build thread. Well, the time has come to be practical and save for a piece of real estate, so I'm here testing the waters.

Ebay Item # 150730775018

Up for sale is a PRISTINE example of a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. This car started life as a highly optioned 273 Commando, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, air conditioned, center console, bucket seat, vehicle. Every mechanical system on this car has been restored to better-than-new condition. Gone is the factory 273 and in its place is a (1975 block) 360ci engine.

The freshly rebuilt motor was pulled, cleaned and painted, re-gasketed, all accessory brackets were powdercoated, the heads were sent out for a 3 angle valve job and to be cleaned, and was put back together. The carburetor was rebuilt and tuned at that time as well. The car was converted back to power steering with all brand new parts and hardware the correct way with a high effort PS box, new pump, hoses, etc. The motor has TTI ceramic coated headers for exhaust and a set of two-chambered mufflers dumped at the rear axle. While the motor was out the radiator was re-cored and the K-frame was cleaned and powdercoated gloss black along with the upper and lower control arms, axle housing, pulleys, steering linkage, knuckles and calipers. The complete undercarriage was degreased, primed, and undercoated. The complete front suspension was rebuilt and Firm Feel 1.04 torsion bars were installed. The complete fuel system in the car is new, with a new tank, pad, sender, and fuel lines back to front. The transmission is a built 904 with kevlar bands, high upshift, and low first gear planetary with a reman OE high stall converter with Torrington Bearings. The complete Kelsey Hayes brake system was restored in the car with a new master cylinder, rebuilt brake booster, all hardware, and brand new brake lines throughout. The wiring harness under the hood was cleaned up, repaired, and re-wrapped. The car is set up for air conditioning in the dash, but none of the components are present in the engine bay at this time.

NOTE: The correct 273 Commando air cleaner lid and base plate (not seen in the pictures below) was located and is now installed on the motor.

The front seats alone cost me over $2000, including new vinyl seat covers from Legendary. The seat frames were media blasted and powdercoated, the seatbacks were painted, the springs were rebuilt, the mechanism was cleaned and lubricated, the chrome trim was restored and polished, and new seat foams were installed. The car has very nice black door panels, nice headliner and sun visors, and a clean black vinyl rear seat. The black carpet is better than presentable. The dashboard was the next to be restored if I were to keep the car. It's nice for a driver, but could use some attention as far as paint and chrome. The speedometer and tachometer both work, but the rest of the gauges do not. There are aftermarket Autometer oil pressure and water temperature gauges installed in the car to monitor the health of the motor.

The car is painted a 2005 Nissan color called "Liquid Copper" and I would rate it a strong 9 out of 10. A NOS lock set for the ignition, doors, and trunk was installed. There is a custom flat black (3m vinyl) stripe kit on the car with "360" call-outs. The front and rear bumpers are painted silver, I was going to replace them with chrome bumpers if I kept the car. A rust-free trunk lid (extremely difficult to find) was installed and painted to match and the full set of three chrome trim pieces exclusive to 1967 model year was located and installed with the proper clips. The front valence is brand new and there's a custom front air dam, painted flat black. New body, door and hood bumpers and K-frame splash shields were installed. All new factory emblems were installed, either reproduction or OEM.

The car handles better than new and it rides on a set of 4 Bilstein Mono Tube shocks, new leaf springs, hangers and shackles withh all new and correct hardware. There is a 1.125" front sway bar installed. The rear end is an 8-3/4" with 3.23:1 gear ratio.

The wheels are 15x8" black powdercoated steel wheels from SpecialtyWheel with BFGoodrich Radial T/A white letter tires in 255/60/15. The front wheels are 15x7" black powdercoated steel wheels, also from SpecialtyWheel. There is a beautiful set of police dog dish hub caps on the wheels.

The bad: Aside from what was mentioned above, the car will likely need a new heater core installed. The dash and gauges are in need of a restoration to be as nice as the rest of the car. The dash pad is cracked. Be aware that cars this old in NY do not have titles. This car has a free and clear NY state transferable registration. I'm only practicing full disclosure so there are no suprises.

Note: The split and cracked steering wheel you see in the pictures below has been replaced with a much, much nicer piece.

If there's anything I forgot to mention, chances are it's brand new, painted, powdercoated, or restored. You will not be disappointed in the quality of the craftsmanship and attention to detail used in building this car. Everything was meticulously (and expensively!) brought to like-new condition. I have over $25,000 invested in this car, and the reserve is WELL below that. You cannot build this car for the reserve price.

The buyer is responsible for all shipping and paypal fees. The seller reserves the right to end the auction at any time for any reason, or refuse sale to any individual for any reason at any time. Thanks for looking!

100_1052.jpg

100_1055.jpg

100_1062.jpg

100_1056.jpg

100_1047.jpg

100_1046.jpg

100_1045.jpg

100_1042.jpg

100_1040.jpg

Asking price is $19,000. That's what I need to get in order to let it go. If you have a problem with my asking price, feel free to not buy the car. The vehicle is located on Long Island, NY.

Anybody out there? 225 views and not a single comment...

I'd be willing to consider $10k cash and a car trade valued at $8,000 to $9,000. I'd love a Coronet, Savoy, or built Duster. Let me know...

Beautiful car, unfortunately 19g's is extremely steep for most of use. Good luck with the sale though

Thanks. I'm a little bit negotiable on the price. Unfortunately, you can't build this car in parts alone, let alone the labor involved, for anywhere near my asking price. It's a buyer's market though, and likely will be for a long time.

No luck on fee-bay. Prefer sale to a FABO member.

Looking for:

(1) $18,000 cash
-or-
(2) $10,000 cash and a trade with a mutually agreed upon value of $8,000 or more

I love the car, And I get what you are saying about build money (owned a 64 Fish = massive loss) But it's sort of the penance we pay to build less popular models up. The big downfall is the 360. Were the car a 340, it should see $13-15k. I wouldn't dare give my offer here, that's not fair, but I would offer less for a 360. If you need the money badly, consider lowering the price. It is a beautiful car, I'd love to have it myself, but if you love it and have a large investment into it, consider keeping it. This market + the particular build you went with, simply won't most likely balance in your favor. Hope that wasn't too forward, but there's nothing less helpful than just 20 people saying "ouch". Great luck with the car, it looks phenomenal. cheers.

I love the car, And I get what you are saying about build money (owned a 64 Fish = massive loss) But it's sort of the penance we pay to build less popular models up. The big downfall is the 360. Were the car a 340, it should see $13-15k. I wouldn't dare give my offer here, that's not fair, but I would offer less for a 360. If you need the money badly, consider lowering the price. It is a beautiful car, I'd love to have it myself, but if you love it and have a large investment into it, consider keeping it. This market + the particular build you went with, simply won't most likely balance in your favor. Hope that wasn't too forward, but there's nothing less helpful than just 20 people saying "ouch". Great luck with the car, it looks phenomenal. cheers.

No offense taken and nothing is too forward. We're all friends on here (most of the time). I am not desperate for the money, I just saw it as a means to an end. I love the car, and I have an attachment to it. I just thought selling it would expedite getting a down payment together for my first home. The complete and utter lack of interest (aside from mind numbing low ball offers) means I will most likely keep the car. I just have too much into it at this point. The car needs minor things to be 100% complete, though I'm well beyond the point of diminishing returns, haha.

This is by no means a knock on anyone in particular...nor this sight. I can share that I just sold my car (not a mopar) and was part of a forum for that brand...You would not believe how much talk of the cars being the next wave of valuable classic cars...until I put it up for sale with a price..Well, they came out of the woodworks telling me I was asking too much...A few were advocating the price as fair..but the majority were knocking me.
I saw it as this...Everyone on there were acting like they were priceless machines..until one was up for sale.
Long story short, it sold on Craigslist for more than I had it listed for in that forum.
A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay...You may just have to wait for the person that dreamt of putting a 360 in a FB Cuda.
To me, I like to drive my cars, and prefer more driver quality..that's just me- I actually just passed on a 67 Barracuda FB w/ a 360 in it..but the body needed too much..I liked the power of the 360.
Good luck!

Bump.

Knee deep in the housing market now and still considering a sale of this car. The cost of living in NY almost forces my hand. Seeing what's out there...

$17,500

-or-

$10,000 cash plus a trade with a mutually agreed upon value of $8,000

That is a very nice car!

Thank you! I absolutely love the car, but a piece of property is the next logical step in my life. An old timer hot rodder told me "house first, cars later" and I'm going to heed his advice if I can...

Keeping it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, though. :toothy8:

its too bad u cant keep your car and buy your home,i bought my dart 8 yrs ago and have done very little to it. owning a home takes alot of time and moola once you get rid of this car and buy your home building another car is gonna be tough good luck too u

if you own the car free and clear and love it, you will regret selling it.

Think outside the box, you want a house, interest rates are at an all time low, could the car be used for collateral on a loan?

Nice car, good luck with whatever you do

its too bad u cant keep your car and buy your home,i bought my dart 8 yrs ago and have done very little to it. owning a home takes alot of time and moola once you get rid of this car and buy your home building another car is gonna be tough good luck too u

if you own the car free and clear and love it, you will regret selling it.

Think outside the box, you want a house, interest rates are at an all time low, could the car be used for collateral on a loan?

Nice car, good luck with whatever you do

I hear you guys loud and clear. I own the car outright, no loans, no debt on it at all. If things fall into place and I can get a house without selling the car, then I'll be all the happier for it. As of right now, I haven't gotten a single PM concerning the car or interested party whatsoever since this thread has been alive. Not a single offer other than the requisite "I'll give you three rusted out non-running cars, a non-running ATV, a non-running Jetski, and you have to give me $500 cash my way" psychotic offers internet buyers are famous for. Worst and best case scenario: I keep the car and park it in my new garage.

There is a butt to fill every seat. You, I, and everyone else knows you are putting a good price on this car. Solid A Bodies are getting scarce. Well, at least ones that have not been hacked up. But as car sales are they are worth more than they sell for. Many folks will say 'man, if you EVER decide sell it let me know' and of course when you do they dummy up faster than a politician having to admit he or she is wrong. Stick to your guns here. Somebody may have a windfall on the way and want it. I am a Dart guy but have always had a soft spot for 67 to 69 fastback Cuda's. If I had a wad of cash I would move faster than an Ethiopian Chicken for this one. Best of luck!!
Chas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back