1967 Plymouth Barrucuda convertible bought- Or, how I spent my week. . .

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
Evening all!

First the pics:

'67 cuda convert. 2009 001.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 006.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 007.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 009.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 016.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 017.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 019.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 022.jpg

Evening again everyone.

My wife and myself have been looking for a nice driver while I get the Red '67 on the road to restoration.

It has been a long story, and we have given up the looking on several occasions- and some of you have been involved here with that search, for which I give many thanks and owe ya one or several- Ben, Larry, Dave, and several others. . .well, not looking any more. . .but damn.

Anyway, this 'vert kinda fell into our laps through Craig's List. . .very local to us, few hours away, new listing. . .

Runner/driver, former trailered show car, good paint, great interior, all chrome, custom top, glass rear window, a Super 225, auto, power brakes and steering, recent brakes, fair asking price. . .and so on. Good people to talk with too, very personable, good documentation, good receipts, clean title, yada yada. . .

Nice car- but it darned sure isn't anywhere near a driver as advertised! Let the buyer beware, so no weeping allowed. . .

Gent kinda inherited it from his Dad; sort of "I'm not going to the car shows anymore, so you kids pick what you like as a present" deal. He buys and restores Farm Alls now. . .

Apparently, it was restored for going to said shows, been in the family for 25 years, got all the receipts for the work, etc.

He had it in a small 2 car garage- with stuff stacked on and in it (pics in a bit). We had it pulled out and gave it a look: obviously been left sitting for a couple of years, but supposedly driven over to the new house a couple of years ago with no probs, etc.

Tried to get it started with my own battery I had brought- no dice, no gas to the carb.

Went off, got dinner, talked about it, went back and made offer. . .

Got it trailered to us 2 days later. . .

Good looking car, same color as my Formula S 67 coupe

Congrads on getting yourself a driver

So everyone is loving on it, washing, waxing. . .

. . .and yours truly is looking the thing over, trying to get the slant to start, wondering why it doesn't have a fuel filter on it. . .

. . .finally get it running, though a bit rough. Tailpipe is rusted out, likewise muffler. . . Found the fuel filter- someone cut the fuel line halfway back toward the tank and spliced it in hanging under the body behind the rocker!

No lights on the dash, but the rest of 'em work; no hi beams.

Gas is on "E" even though I put 5 out of a can in it- but the pressure is good and high. . .and so is the temperature. Starting to overheat. . .

Water pump starts to whistle like a steam kettle. . .and vomiting water out of a hole near the pump shaft.

Okay, need a water pump, belt hoses. . .no prob.

Next day, dig into it- and find the old water pump is completely blocked at the outlet by something resembling Lard. . .and the two visible freeze plugs are leaking. . .and there is no thermostat in the housing on the block. . .

. . .and this is supposed to be a rebuild (when?!?) with a few parade passes on it. . .

. . .fix freeze plugs, get water pump on, get all new hoses hooked up, thermostat in, get through about 10 last night after all the parts chasing. . .

. . .time to go for a ride!

5 people in, we start 'er up, no leaks, looking good- except the temp is about 2/3 of the gauge. Well, got a 195 degree 'stat in it. . .lets get some air through the radiator and see what happens. . .

Okay, top down, here we go, got a flashlight to see the gauges, . . .

. . .stop and get gas and drinks, people love the car, everyone is all smiles, . . .and the gauge is still on E even though I got it full.

Oh well, another little fix. . .

Get on the road- and temp keeps creeping up. Heater works- it was heating our feet the whole time. How does the water valve work- and where is the thing anyway? My other one has it on the passenger inner fender. . .? Couldn't seem to turn the darned thing off, so put it on defrost.

Decide to turn it around and head for the barn.

Make it to the driveway and What Do Ya Know? We are trailing a water trail all the way back to the garage.

Out and lift hood- Hey, found out where another freeze plug is located- it is blowing water and steam out of still another hole and all over the intake and exhaust manifolds. . .so much for the radiator flush. And isn't it in a Wonderfully Accessible Spot right behind the manifolds and carburetor assembly. . .!

Time to sleep on this.

Today, after much deliberation decided that the radiator must be stuffed with lard goo too, so took it to the rad shop, went and ordered carb rebuild kit, oil and filter change, points plugs and condenser, new power steering hoses, intake/exhaust gaskets for when I drop them to get to the third freeze plug, third freeze plug (damn, how many more are there?. . .please, not on the back of the Block too!). . .

. . .and get back to nasty stains on the concrete under the fuel tank. . .

. . .hey, rebuilt radiator needed says the rad shop- it started leaking as soon as we got it boiled out. . .be in Monday, maybe. . .

. . .and just found out the tranny park lock needs attention- daughter just rolled it out of the garage and down the hill nearly into the neighbor's lawn. . .

But we Got A Hell Of A Deal On It!

I just wonder what else we can shake out of this thing once we get a Real Shakedown Cruise going? Moparfest, here we come!

Sure, it'll make it. . .sure. . .

So everyone is loving on it, washing, waxing. . .

. . .and yours truly is looking the thing over, trying to get the slant to start, wondering why it doesn't have a fuel filter on it. . .

. . .finally get it running, though a bit rough. Tailpipe is rusted out, likewise muffler. . . Found the fuel filter- someone cut the fuel line halfway back toward the tank and spliced it in hanging under the body behind the rocker!

No lights on the dash, but the rest of 'em work; no hi beams.

Gas is on "E" even though I put 5 out of a can in it- but the pressure is good and high. . .and so is the temperature. Starting to overheat. . .

Water pump starts to whistle like a steam kettle. . .and vomiting water out of a hole near the pump shaft.

Okay, need a water pump, belt hoses. . .no prob.

Next day, dig into it- and find the old water pump is completely blocked at the outlet by something resembling Lard. . .and the two visible freeze plugs are leaking. . .and there is no thermostat in the housing on the block. . .

. . .and this is supposed to be a rebuild (when?!?) with a few parade passes on it. . .

. . .fix freeze plugs, get water pump on, get all new hoses hooked up, thermostat in, get through about 10 last night after all the parts chasing. . .

. . .time to go for a ride!

5 people in, we start 'er up, no leaks, looking good- except the temp is about 2/3 of the gauge. Well, got a 195 degree 'stat in it. . .lets get some air through the radiator and see what happens. . .

Okay, top down, here we go, got a flashlight to see the gauges, . . .

. . .stop and get gas and drinks, people love the car, everyone is all smiles, . . .and the gauge is still on E even though I got it full.

Oh well, another little fix. . .

Get on the road- and temp keeps creeping up. Heater works- it was heating our feet the whole time. How does the water valve work- and where is the thing anyway? My other one has it on the passenger inner fender. . .? Couldn't seem to turn the darned thing off, so put it on defrost.

Decide to turn it around and head for the barn.

Make it to the driveway and What Do Ya Know? We are trailing a water trail all the way back to the garage.

Out and lift hood- Hey, found out where another freeze plug is located- it is blowing water and steam out of still another hole and all over the intake and exhaust manifolds. . .so much for the radiator flush. And isn't it in a Wonderfully Accessible Spot right behind the manifolds and carburetor assembly. . .!

Time to sleep on this.

Today, after much deliberation decided that the radiator must be stuffed with lard goo too, so took it to the rad shop, went and ordered carb rebuild kit, oil and filter change, points plugs and condenser, new power steering hoses, intake/exhaust gaskets for when I drop them to get to the third freeze plug, third freeze plug (damn, how many more are there?. . .please, not on the back of the Block too!). . .

. . .and get back to nasty stains on the concrete under the fuel tank. . .

. . .hey, rebuilt radiator needed says the rad shop- it started leaking as soon as we got it boiled out. . .be in Monday, maybe. . .

. . .and just found out the tranny park lock needs attention- daughter just rolled it out of the garage and down the hill nearly into the neighbor's lawn. . .

But we Got A Hell Of A Deal On It!

I just wonder what else we can shake out of this thing once we get a Real Shakedown Cruise going? Moparfest, here we come!

Sure, it'll make it. . .sure. . .
I have the same exact car except 2 tone interior. Very nice!

Wifey reminds me to mention that she is the one that has busted her tail finding all these spare parts this past 2 days- and she sure has.

We WILL get this thing running and driving!

If I gotta Sleep Under IT to get it that way!

Daughter is contemplating sleeping in it in the garage tonight. . .

:)

Mike

Ah the joys of new (old car) ownership. When I purchased my Barracuda, the guy says go to a gas station right away. I managed to go a few miles, and up a hill, the car died on the way down. It was out of gas, but still reading 1/4. Luckily I had my son with me in my other car, & a gas can.

Got it going again, and went to fill up. It seemed to be taking an awful long time to fill up. So I get out to look, and gas is pouring onto the ground. So I yell at the guy to stop. We push it back a bit, and I put the car in reverse, no reverse! By now I'm thinking I've got a real lemon.

So we siphon off some gas and find that the tank gasket is ripped at the filler tube. Start the car, it moves, and I'm on my way again.

About 50 miles later the temp gauge is almost pegged so I look for a gas station. An hour later after after everything being checked it's decided it's the gauge. Only 300 more miles to go!

By now it's getting dark, and I need to use the 401, I turn on my headlights and I only have one..lol. I get on the 401 and I'm doing 80 MPH to keep up with everyone. We stop for gas and my son asks why I'm doing 55?

Well I did make it home safely, and I had found all of the minor fixes the car needed. I was either pretty brave, or stupid to drive an unknown car that far. I think the latter.

Good luck, the car looks awesome.

Appreciate all the replies all- yeah, you gotta laugh.

My Dad bought my first one new in 1967- and he had the most careful poker face on this afternoon when he came over and saw my latest acquisition!

Still my father's son. . .

M

Good looking fish looks like my 68, same color combo sorta. Mine was the leaning tower of power also. After twenty years of fighting over heating and no power(even for a slant) I pulled it for a 360.

011-1.jpg

jaws inside.jpg

Gorgeous! I have some rocker panel trim coming- and am going to get the Cragars and treads on. Later, when it is wearing a nice V-8 I am contemplating a center stripe down the hood and trunk. . .that way, it'll deserve it.

What size are your Cragars and tires? I have an in with Jegg's. . .

Mike

Sweet, great score.
Makes me miss my former Cuda -68 Convert.

Seems like you have your hands full, man. However, you have to expect that from a car that is about 42 years old. It looks real good, though. Keep an eye on the body work...the previous owner seemed to care more about looks than function.

15x7s in the front with 205 60 15s, 15x8 in the rear with 235 60 15s.

15x7s in the front with 205 60 15s, 15x8 in the rear with 235 60 15s.

few options with SBP

if you lived closer I could give you a 225 slant and auto, it run great 14 years ago when I pulled it, does need freeze plugs, I knotted them out to drain the antifreeze. I gave the raditor to a buddy

Sounds like they had straight water in it for all the plugs bad and stopped up system.

Sounds like a lot of work, but still a good looking car.

I bought a 67 Convertible a few years back. It looked good from 30 feet, run good, restored interior. It has so much rust under and the 1/4's were put on top of the rusted out ones. The mechanical problems are better than rust. I bought the car thinking Dad could have it to drive, when I followed him and it tracked sideways I sold it.

Thanks FishB- already had my body guy look it over briefly- said it is in pretty good shape except for the trunk: looks like a patch job in there with fiberglass. . .but the spare tire area is solid. . .?

Thanks Jaws- I am trying to score some Cragars in 4" bolt pattern and 15's. . .yours look excellent on there- any frame rub on corners or steering? This one is wearing E78 14 repros and it is killing me looking at 'em!

What diameter exhaust pipe would you suggest for this stock set up? Wifey and I would like to know . . .

Wildcat, really appreciate the offer! Just jerked the intake/exhaust off, got the freeze plug in, got the carb rebuilt (never knew Holley 1 barrels were so complicated inside!), took a look at the new fuel filter- full of rusty gas, so out comes the fuel tank and blow out lines before I ruin the rebuild. . .

Anything different in the fuel sending unit/ fuel line department? It looks like the stock size fuel lines. . .

Looking for a tank and sending unit on Ebay, et al- figure I'd have to travel to get a used one- hazmat. . .

. . .and besides, I already got a used one!

Thanks guys- appreciate the kind words and encouragement!

Mike

Seems like you have your hands full, man. However, you have to expect that from a car that is about 42 years old. It looks real good, though. Keep an eye on the body work...the previous owner seemed to care more about looks than function.

That's an awesome car Mike! Mechanical repairs are so much easier to deal with than rust.... and boy, your rivaling some of my stories of old car ownership!

Hang in there... it's not gonna be good in a week. Or maybe even a month or two.

-
Back