Not open for further replies.

ZMan67S

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 1967 recall steering wheel with the Plymouth horn pad.

Last edited:
the pads where all a silver-grey. center logo emblem changed between dodge or plymouth

The 3 spokes are double members without any cross bracing between them. Just one single long slot from hub to outer wheel. I just saw a picture of one but can't remember where.

The 3 spokes are double members without any cross bracing between them. Just one single long slot from hub to outer wheel. I just saw a picture of one but can't remember where.
recall3.jpg

I have a mint one. I have no idea what its worth but apparently by everyones response its not cheap. I will send you picks by text if your interested.

Here's the Dodge version. Many of these recalled wheels ended up being used in old arcade games...

$(KGrHqF,!k8FH8uNjrN9BSFCDL5MZg~~60_57.jpg

They were "deemed" unsafe in an accident and many were changed at dealerships for those who cared

Here is an interesting article. Appears there wasn't really a recall, just something started and a legend grew.
The wood grain 1967 steering wheel was a $25.75 option.

66-67 Dodge Charger Source Guide

Steering Wheel
66hornbutton.jpg
1966 horn button
66wheel.jpg
1966/7 wheel
67hornbutton.jpg
1967 horn button
67wheel.jpg
1967 optional wheel
(Recall wheel)
1967 Steering wheels also came in interior-matching colors such as black, red, blue and bronze.

1967 wheel featured the full horn ring as standard equipment. The other horn button design was optional.

hornring.jpg
hornring2.jpg

Click here for horn button details.

"The Recall Wheel Myth"
67recallwheel.jpg

This picture appeared in early ads for the 1967 Charger. No steering wheel as pictured here (with radial tabs attached to the center horn button) has yet been documented as appearing on a production 1967 Charger.

The myth (urban legend?) surrounding the 1967 "Recall" steering wheel detail (above) was: This wheel was deemed unsafe by safety crusader Ralph Nader and friends and prevented from going into production.

Recent research by John Kane indicates that the "recall" wheel appeared on late production cars without the horn tabs.
John has also found through research into official government documents that:

There are/were no recalls...nor 'investigations' listed for 1967 Dodge Charger steering wheels. Point of fact there were none for 1966 either. 'Investigations' are/were a separate inquiry procedure that also had no references to the steering wheels in question.

This is real world information from the U.S. Government department that would have been directly involved.

If you have a "recall" wheel on your '67 let us know. Any of you who have an original 1967 car...with original documentation can use the following as a reference guide.
The Accessory code # 573 was used on invoices and window stickers to represent the 1967 wood wheel option.

The Steering wheel code # 14T was listed on the bottom line of the broadcast sheet in the box designated : 'Steering Wheel and Horn Ring'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back