1968 904 tranny filter, new does not match old one

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Changing the filter in the 68 Barracuda / 904 transmission

been to three local parts houses, at each the replacement filter does not match what was on the car now,, the three mounting holes line up, the original unit has 2 inlet openings,, the replacements have 1,,, the repalcement filters all come with two pan gaskets, one of which matches the pan profile on mine,, but what about the filter

see photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@N02/4197662866/

thanks

Weird. The clean one in your pic looks like the ones I use. The newer kits come with gaskets for both the 904 and 727

The filter on the right with the 2 inlet openings is for a rear pump torqueflight trans. The one on the left should work just fine.

thanks,, very helpful,, I now know the new filter should be fine,
the info I have on this car says its been parked since '79,, the wrong filter was put in some time ago.

What would happen to a 65 904 if the new style filter was used? And I am asking for a really good reason.

65fish, I believe the 65 904 had both a front and rear pump. The reason for the 2 inlet holes in the filter. The rear pump draws fluid through the smaller of the 2 inlet holes. If a newer style filter is used I suppose it could restrict fluid flow to the rear pump. Hope this helps.

Well I wish I would have know this 13 years ago when I put a deep pan kit on. The filter and extension only has one hole so the rear pump hole has been completelly blocked off. Trans has worked great until about 2 years ago. Has been out 3 times for the same thing. Pumping fluid out the front. Wonder if changing the filter to the correct one will help?

-
Back