1968 a833 1-2 gear stuck

-

Andyz

Reaction score
I have an a833 that I just had rebuilt. I put it in the car, and while hooking up the shifter I noticed the 1-2 gear finger will not budge. Reverse will move and 3-4 will click once. I tried moving 1-2 in both positions of the 3-4 finger and reverse is definitely disengaged, but no movement at all on 1-2.
I have read online that what has likely happened is the shifter balls are not in the correct detent position. My question is if this is true, can I loosen the cover and free it up? I really do not want to pull this beast out again if possible.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you sure 3/4 is centered? You can most certainly get the side cover on/ off the gearbox in the car

Are you sure 3/4 is centered? You can most certainly get the side cover on/ off the gearbox in the car

First make sure everything is in neutral, because the 3-4 being in a gear will lock out 1-2.

You can take the cover off while it's in the car and should be able to slide the rings the forks ride in and engage and disengage each gear if you need to chk the trans.
The problem is usually in the cover, and to do with the lockouts between the rods in the cover.

The two parts I circled called "Interlock" that does this.

This is a different trans but the parts work the same, except they are inside the side cover between the shift rods that the linkgage plates bolt onto on yours.

Attachments

• topldr5.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 322
Did you try and turn the output shaft and move the 1-2 lever? If not pull the side cover and see what is wrong. If yours is a 1968 year trans it will have the ball and detent system to keep from shifting into two gears at once. I would check to see if that was assembled wrong. If that appears correct have a look at the slider ring to see if it can be moved.

Thanks all for the responses.
I cannot move finger 3-4 more than 1 click. I figure one position or the other is neutral. I tried 1-2 with the 3-4 lever in either position with no change. Reverse is definitely in neutral.
I have tried to turn the output shaft, but I do not have a drive shaft yet. With my fingertips on the output as best I can, the output shaft doesn't turn at all and feels like it is in gear.
I will try removing the side cover tomorrow, weather permitting, and report back my findings.

thanks again all...

It was the interlock not in the correct position. I loosened the cover and got it positioned in neutral with a screwdriver. My shifter is also in need of some help. Several of the shims are missing which does not allow the spring clips to hold the shifter arms tight. I ordered some new ones from McMaster-Carr today. It shifts now, but will be a lot better with the new shims.
Thanks again everyone.

-
Back