1968 barracuda convertible

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
I picked up a 68 convert back in november. I have always wanted one since I was a kid. I looked at the car which looked good. There were a few noticeable bubbles on the body. It had a brand new interior, and top. I knew it needed lower rear panels. I talked the guy down to 7k. Now my body guy has the car (turned out to be an abortion), the fenders were filled with plastic, he has welded several patches in to the car, doors needed patch work, and the rear 1/4 panels. He said that the car will look great when he is done with it, but I am affraid of future issues. What do you think its worth in the end? I am thinking about selling once it is painted. Any insight would be helpful. The car is a 318 with just under 100k.

It depends on how well the work is into it as to what it will be worth to sell....

I would prefer repro sheet metal to patch panel work on a car. But if you do it right, you won't make any money when you sell it.

If you slap it together to get $$$, then you are doing another patch and hack job for the next guy to clean up....

Why are you going to sell it when it's painted?? If this is something that you truely have always wanted, then why not do it right and then keep it and enjoy it???

I'm with krazy on this one - you'll have more in it than what it is worth in $$ . Build it your way the way you always wanted it and drive the wheels off the sucker.

My issue is that I didnt expect it to be as bad as it is. I am on a budget with it, and I have opened up a can of worms.....ugggh.

Just go slow and steady. May take a while, but you'll be a heck of a lot happier with a car done right.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up....who knew......

Attachments

• cuda.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 246
Same thing happened with my first car, 66 Mustang. Gorgeous shiny yellow car, couple months later doing brakes, suspension, valve job, bondo starts falling out, invested a ton and sold at a huge loss.

I'd either take the hit now and dump it, or invest the money and keep it. Either way you lose money but one way you enjoy that lost money :)

This is what mine looked like when I picked it up in June last year... Hope to start on it this coming summer. I figure about 3 years of picking at it and it might be done.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 229
I think you have not described the most important part of the equation. That is whats underneath the car. If the torque boxes, frame rails, uni-body, are good, you have a gem. Secondary, I would look at the aprons/inner fenders,fire wall,and trunk extensions. Hopefully, they have been repaired properly, but if not they are common areas with problems. Doors, fenders, and panel patches/skins are normal replacements in a restoration. Those parts can be found at a fairly reasonable price. If you paid 7,000 for the car you had to know it was a car that was going to need a restoration. If your motor is running well and the interior is good, sounds like you will be into it for body work and paint, 10,000 on the low side, probably closer to 15,000. So now your into it for 22,000.00. That is upside down to say the least on a 318 car. However, if this is your dream car, remember life is short my friend. Go for it. I would be a huge liar and so would almost all of the members on this site if they said they have never been upside down on a car. Good luck with your dream.

I wouldn't patch doors. Those are probably the most abundant in good used body parts.
Front fenders, you wont find many that haven't been punched in the nose so a little filler there is common. Rusted at the dog leg area is pretty common and a small patch for that is available. When a fender is rusted through around the wheel well lip or along the top where it turns down by the hood, I'm looking for another that is only punched in the nose.
Quarters rusted, entire quarter skin is a better choice than patches in my opinion.
After 50 years on this blue planet and in motion, they are all rusted and banged up, just some worse than others.
As for me and looking at the pic you showed, I wouldn't have went to the body shop with it right away. It looks to be a presentable driver and that's just what I would do for a year or 3. I'm either loving it and watching for good deals on better parts ( most likely for me ) or resell at a loss of a as much as 500 per year.
You bought a car that is like new and comfortable inside. You could leave it in a grocery store parking lot or anywhere else without major concern. Spend 15K on it and your butt hole will draw up every time it leaves the driveway meaning you cant truly enjoy it. Course way to state that, true though.

One more reason to not paint now... Water borne paint with Never Wet properties is coming soon ( already available in on new Nissan ).

The Pass side quarter had been replaced, years ago brazed in place so the body guy made a nice patch panel that follows the lines of the car. And the driver side actually was an excellent shape. Whoever did the body work on the car originally the previous owner felt the need to fill it with lots of bondo. So in the end the lower rear quarters where the least of my worries. He is passed both fenders and clean them up nice. The doors only needed 2 inch by 3 inch patch in the front corners so the only other issue was the passenger side front 1/4....so I'm feeling a little bit better about the car now. Should be painted by the end of next week.

Attachments

• 20150130_095459.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20150130_095440.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20150130_095509.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 119
When you are done you know it will be solid. Most of these old cars need TLC down thru the years and a lot just get slapped together instead. BTW great color combination, It'll be a gorgeous ride when you're done!

That's a nice looking car! Hey - you just had to do it sooner than later. Stick with it, it will be your baby.
There's an old saying around here: "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater".
At least I think that applies??

-
Back