1968 barracuda factory color question (red)

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
Recently purchased a project 68 cuda convert. Was factory a red car trying to find out what choices of red there were back then. I think Matador is the only one i can find. Can you get the code from the dash vin?

Not that I am aware of. The paint code is on the fender tag or on the build sheet(s). If they are not available they are in the paint libraries of paint suppliers. If you are forced to go the library route be aware that some colors are available in standard and metallic versions. Good luck, Tom

colors from the 1970s probably find a match or something close
to original here, but the car looks great I would not touch it.
Cheers. Car in photos is not mine just posted for a comparison color
thing.

Attachments

• 1970-plymouth-paint codes.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,201
  • 1970-dodge-paint codes.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,120
  • barracuda.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 290
  • barracuda - 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 317
Thanks, good link had to book mark that one for future reference.

Sorry, the pic of my 68 Cuda is not great, the pic is showing the red lighter, the color was more blood red and not really burgundy red like on the chart for Matador Red.
The paint code on that car was PP1 (71483), I believe this paint code was only used on Plymouth's.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 287
hi jamesromeos...

here is the 1968 factory color chart. hope it helps.

jim in pittsburgh....

Attachments

• 68_Color_Chip_Page1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 651
The car looks great in pictures, however the lower rear 1/4 panels are garbage, as well as some cracking in the filler. The car was painted years ago in a back yard by the PO so there is dust in the paint as well. I love the color but I will never know the paint code due to the fact that the PO is deceased. I think the matador red is a little to dark for my liking. I don't know what to do. I would like to confirm the factory color by the fender tag. Where do I look, I am a chevy guy and am used to seeing them on the inner fender on the drivers side under the hood, cant find the one on this car. thanks for all the input.

It should be located on the drivers side of the car on the inner fender
near the battery , I am posting a picture of mine.
It has tons of info about your car. Just post a picture of yours
and some one will decode it for you.
Check the glove box see if it is loose in there.
Build sheets are located under the back seat tucked up in the
wire spring under side of the seat.

Cheers.

Attachments

• fender tag.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 260
I wonder if someone removed mine, cant find it anywhere....I may try to remove the rear seat and look.

-
Back