[WANTED] 1968 Barracuda Formula S rocker moulding and interior door emblems

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocker moldings on that car are commonly called gills and spears. I don't know of emblem on interior of doors.

There were different door panels depending on whether the car came with standard interior or "Interior Decor" accessory group. I don't have emblems on mine, nor am I aware of any.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Barracuda0006.jpg

Gills and spears are the "Custom Sill Moldings," which are in this picture. I think they are more fugly junk that was hung on cars to make it look a little different. That was a common practice in Detroit at the time. People will disagree, but the only way I'd put them on a car is if it were a very correct car that is coded for them. If your fender tag has a 9 under the 1 in the two rows directly above the first line, it is coded for Custom Sill Moldings. If it has a 4, it is coded for Sill Moldings, which are probably just a plain strip aluminum.
002.jpg

Area below the "spear" is painted silver on original cars.

007.jpg

9 under the 1 coding Custom Sill Moldings

Data plate.jpg

4 under the 1 coding for Sill Moldings

Last edited:
Rocker moldings on that car are commonly called gills and spears. I don't know of emblem on interior of doors.
Thank you for the reply. I found some used spears on-line but no gills. I saw a picture on a Hemmings post showing a wide molding with gills as well. I may use fish emblem from trunk lid to fill the hole inside door.

There were different door panels depending on whether the car came with standard interior or "Interior Decor" accessory group. I don't have emblems on mine, nor am I aware of any.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Barracuda0006.jpg

Gills and spears are the "Custom Sill Moldings," which are in this picture. I think they are more fugly junk that was hung on cars to make it look a little different. That was a common practice in Detroit at the time. People will disagree, but the only way I'd put them on a car is if it were a very correct car that is coded for them. If your fender tag has a 9 under the 1 in the two rows directly above the first line, it is coded for Custom Sill Moldings. If it has a 4, it is coded for Sill Moldings, which are probably just a plain strip aluminum.
View attachment 1715856081
Area below the "spear" is painted silver on original cars.

View attachment 1715856083
9 under the 1 coding Custom Sill Moldings

View attachment 1715856085
4 under the 1 coding for Sill Moldings

Thank you for the reply. My car does not have the fender tag with trim code. Apparently it was removed when car was re-painted.

Thank you for the reply. My car does not have the fender tag with trim code. Apparently it was removed when car was re-painted.
If you find a broadcast sheet in your car, it would be coded also. I'm not sure exactly how, but if you find one, there are helpful people on this forum who are experts in decoding them.
Expect to pay around $1000 for a nice set of gills and spears. Beat up ones and incomplete sets are available for less.
Good luck!

Curious to see what holes in door you're trying to fill? 67-9 cudas didnt have any emblems on doors.
Good thing about 68 cudas is all of them whether 340 or 383 are Formula S cars. So that can be deciphered by vin tag.(5th digit either a P or H) No fender tag required for "S" proof. But like S'cuder mentioned, chk for build sheet under front, rear seats...taped to top of glovebox.
Pics of doors?
Thank you for the reply. I found some used spears on-line but no gills. I saw a picture on a Hemmings post showing a wide molding with gills as well. I may use fish emblem from trunk lid to fill the hole inside door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back