1968 Barracuda Formula S VIN verification

-

TZWilliam

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there any way to tell by just the VIN that a 68 Barracuda is a Formula S?

The engine code is a P

Thanks

Because it has a 340, it must be a Formula S because the 340 was not available in the standard model in 1968, is that correct?

Yes, if it came with a 340 or 383 that year, it was a Formula S...

For a 1968 Barracuda, do the last 6 numbers on the lower right of the fender tag need to match the last 6 numbers of the VIN?

For a 1968 Barracuda, do the last 6 numbers on the lower right of the fender tag need to match the last 6 numbers of the VIN?
Not as far as I know. Mine don't. The formula S option should also show up if you decode your fender tag, which you can do on a couple free websites

90% SURE ON THIS: 68' the fender tag does not have the vin on it, but the body tag sequence #. should be stamped on the drivers side trunk lip under the weather striping. can feel it from underneath fender tag and that stamp need to match. vin is on the dash so only thing is does it look like it's been molested. unrestored cars are a plus here.

edit: MMC Detroit
  • 1968 A bodies: Have the S.O. number on the upper portion of the driver's side radiator core support and trunk opening lipunder the weather stripping.
  • 1968: Have it stamped on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.

Last edited:
The engine pad and the lip of the trans bellhousing will have either the body sequence number from the fender tag or the vin. Can’t remember which.

F7 on the fender tag is for the Formula-S (at least it was in 67)
If there is a 7 under the upper case F then it is a formula S
I do not recall but either 68 or 69 had a 340 and not the Formula-S I believe it was 68 much like the Commando-273 was available in 67 without the Formula-S package.
The Formula-S was mandatory with a Big Block.

Alan

Found my notes, looks like in 68 if you had a 340 it was a Formula-S, 69 the Formula-S was an option with the 340.

Alan

-
Back