1968 Barracuda Update --- Engine bay progress!

-

Crazy73

Vroom boom pow
Reaction score
Yanked the engine out last week, and started tearing into the bay since I had the day off... I removed the brake lines along the firewall and other hoses, did not get to the wiper motor or steering column yet. I hit the upper inner fenders with Aircraft Stripper, and here's the results!

DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

Thanks, this is a patient restoration.... so I busted out the sanblaster and played in the sand today. I blasted the rest of the paint and surface rust off the inner fenders and etch primed them. After the fenders dried, I turned the nozzle towards the firewall and unleashed the fury!

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

You might as well drop the front suspension and k-frame while you're at it :wink: I started off like you and ended up with everything from the firewall forward that could be taken off, was :roll: Its looking real good, what kind of media are you using in the blaster?

HawaiiDuster said:
You might as well drop the front suspension and k-frame while you're at it :wink: I started off like you and ended up with everything from the firewall forward that could be taken off, was :roll: Its looking real good, what kind of media are you using in the blaster?

Yes, the front suspension will be coming off, the guy I got the car from claimed it was all new, but it's pretty obvious it's not. Plus the spindles for the disc brake conversion wound up on the wrong sides..... :shaking:

Looks pretty good :thumrigh: . Silly question time. Did you blast that outside?
Either way, what kind of a mess was there to clean up?

onehellofadart said:
Looks pretty good :thumrigh: . Silly question time. Did you blast that outside?
Either way, what kind of a mess was there to clean up?

Yes, I blasted outside on the patio, that way I can just turn the hose on the sand and wash it off. I am terrible at cleaning, so I haven't done that yet

Looks good! :thumleft: I'm about to that point on my Duster.
I could use that right inner fenderwell! How about cutting it off and sending it to me? :geek:

EvilScamp said:
I could use that right inner fenderwell! How about cutting it off and sending it to me? :geek:

Sure, send me a rust free outer passenger fender and I will trade you! :p

Crazy73 said:
HawaiiDuster said:

Yes, the front suspension will be coming off, the guy I got the car from claimed it was all new, but it's pretty obvious it's not. Plus the spindles for the disc brake conversion wound up on the wrong sides..... :shaking:

Having the spindles switched side to side is no problems since they are symetrical. Its just a matter of the caliper being in front or in back. If the guy was planning on running a swaybar then the calipers would have to be switched to the rear for clearance.

Crazy,

Man, that's looking good there Bud. I appreciate the work you've got into it already.

Keep at it man, that's gonna look VERY nice.

Jim

Crazy73 said:
EvilScamp said:

Sure, send me a rust free outer passenger fender and I will trade you! :p
If i had one i would! :(
I have to replace the right fender on my Duster as well!
I was lucky enough to pick one up at Carlisle for a decent price. :D

69Dart440 said:
Crazy,

Man, that's looking good there Bud. I appreciate the work you've got into it already.

Keep at it man, that's gonna look VERY nice.

Jim

Thanks, I'm tryin! I want to get the body as perfect as possible, since the plan is for the car to be black paint, black interior, and did I mention black? :twisted:

Hopefully when finished, it will look something like this photoshopped one I quickly did.... 383 4spd, tho! :lol:

black.jpg

That engine compartment looks a bit rough, like a back east rust bucket. I did my 67 ragtop cuda this past year and I do recall it took a long time to do the engine compartment. The further I got into it the more I took apart! Anyhow, good luck to you, hope it turns out well.

-
Back