1968 barracuda v-belts

-

Dennis Gerard

Reaction score
Got my 68 almost ready now , just put new hoses and power steering pump on it
Here's my question What V-belt goes where, as I don't think they were right to begin with..

318 power steering alt no a/c

On my BB= single pulley on alternator and water pump, double groove on crank. P/S runs off crank only. I think SB is the same.

Beware aftermarket lower radiator hose. Some makers will cut the hose as short as possible. If you shove that short hose all the way to the stop bump on the water pump the power steering belt can rub a hole in the hose. Yep I did that. Back to the parts store for a Gates brand hose and another gallon of coolant.

Here's my question What V-belt goes where, as I don't think they were right to begin with..

You can find pictures of the belt routing on Google.

I found over the years that I had to adjust the position of several of the components to get lazer straight belt paths. Even the water pump pulley can be moved forward using shims from places like Hughes Engines.

One of the ways I learned to verify that the pulleys are lined up is to stand back 6 to 8 feet from the car and sight down the pulleys like you would with open gun sights.

Heres a video of ours 67 273. Power steering, ac car but nothing hooked up.
Crank is 3 groove (outer sheave not used)

the long belt goes on the crank-alt-water pump...

The short belt goes on the crank-power steering....

[thanks got it now

QUOTE="krazykuda, post: 1973120797, member: 5141"]the long belt goes on the crank-alt-water pump...

The short belt goes on the crank-power steering....[/QUOTE]

-
Back