1968 center console

-

slob4

Reaction score
Building a 68 383 coupe and wanted to know if you could get a bucket seat 4 speed without a center console from the factory????

Awesome...thanks.. Me would that be a inland for the early 68 and Hurst for the later??

slob4...

all 68 Barracudas ordered with a 4 speed came without a console unless you ordered the optional console. the black interior pic shows a 4 speed barracuda with no optional console. all 68's had the inland shifter (shown). the blue interior pic is a 69 Barracuda. in 69 the inland was replaced with a HURST shifter that looked similar to the Inland being round but smaller in diameter than the Inland. in 1970, the "pistol grip" Hurst shifter replaced the smaller Hurst shifter in all Mopar cars (third pic).

Attachments

• memory pic of original cuda.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Hurst 4 speed shifter.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Hurst pistol grip shifter 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 188
All 67's were Inland.
Correct - early 68's had an Inland and then changed to Hurst in the "68" model year.
All 69's were Hurst.
never offered pistol grip in an A-body from the factory, but a short 71 B-body will work in A-body without issue.

Awesome...thanks.. Me would that be a inland for the early 68 and Hurst for the later??

Thanks so much for the pictures and information!!! This is perfect. I am converting my 68 coupe 6 cylinder into a 383 4 speed. I love originality so it is going to be a bucket seat car no console. Currently have original 67 383 coupe 4 speed with bench seat and wanted to make a sister car to have some "fun" with. Appreciate all of the help

hey rocky..

thanks for the correction. i forgot to mention the 67's having inland shifters. my "new" 68 formula S barracuda that i had in 1969 had an inland in it but i believe inlands were replaced by the hurst shifter in the mid-68 car run due to the failure problems with the inlands. i actually broke the inland shifter handle off one night from a strong "power shift" during a street race. i immediately purchased a hurst comp plus that never failed under all my abuse.

i forgot about the 1970 "A-bodies" (duster and demons) still having the 69 style hurst shifter and not the pistol grip. the pistol grip in the "new" 70 Cuda, roadrunner and gtx was a big deal at the time. i remember all my buddies going into the local plymouth dealer just to see them.

-
Back