1968 Dart GTS 340

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of that being said the fact remains that it's a very nice looking car and I don't think the price is out of line. Good luck with your sale!!

According to the new bylaws of marketing here on FABO we really shouldn`t be doing all of this posting on this guys "for sale thread" BUT since he did not post a partial VIN and the fender tag is missing along with the build sheet and he`s a first time poster, it is necessary to ask for at least the first 7 digits of the VIN to verify the car is truly a GTS and not a lesser model. Whew!

way to greet the new guy.....who cares if its a clone, a rebody,a p code , a h code , an m code.its a 68 dart . swinger, gt , gts.he has a copy of the original title.anyway you slice it they all came out of the same mold.6,273,318,340,383,440,426.different options were added to a car making it a specific model , but at the end of the day its still just an ordinary car no matter what is under the hood.chrysler didnt have a host of angelic beings hovering over the assembly line picking specific cars to be blessed with the special 5th digit & rest of the lot cast aside for unworthy commuter cars.these cars are part of americas history & theres not many left.so please go find an ultra straight car from 1962-1972 or any other car older than most of the old farts in this hobby,buy it at a fair price,restore it mechanically & restore it cosmetically & add it up.it will pass $11,500 in a couple of estimates very quickly.that is a slick looking car by the way & hes flexible by the best offer on there by the looks of it.so who cares if his first post is one trying to sell a car , at least an opportunity for someome to own a classic muscle car without having to take out a second mortgage.ok im done :)

Just to being everything back full circle:

Welcome to FABO. Lot of knowledgeable people here, even if us old farts do go off on tangents quite a bit.

Beautiful car. Good luck in selling it. I think its a good price for a great looking car.

According to the new bylaws of marketing here on FABO we really shouldn`t be doing all of this posting on this guys "for sale thread" BUT since he did not post a partial VIN and the fender tag is missing along with the build sheet and he`s a first time poster, it is necessary to ask for at least the first 7 digits of the VIN to verify the car is truly a GTS and not a lesser model. Whew!

Best post of this thread!

The owner could simply answer a couple questions about what he knows about the car, is it a GTS or not, and all these questions would disappear.
Seems odd that the owner would not pop in, and clear up the air.

Good luck with the sale.

Quite right.

And to answer someone else's question, the "M" engine designation meant "special order V8", which usually means a 440 in an A body. For a 69 1/2 B body (which was never referred to as a 69 1/2 by the factory) meant a 440+6.

An "M" engine designation "always" means 440 in an 69 A-body.

Grant

Yeah very strange with all the DOUBT .. he has not chimed in to clarify that authenticity of the GTS .. STILL a nice looking car !

An "M" engine designation "always" means 440 in an 69 A-body.

Grant

Beg to differ. It means "Special Order V8". IF someone (say Garlits) wanted a Dart with a 383 2V and the factory felt like building it, it would have had a "M" in the VIN for that motor, cause it would have been a special order V8 in that car. Doesn't matter that a 383 2V could be had in a Satellite. It wasn't available in an "A", so it would have been a "special order V8"

Hey all, didnt think it would stir up quite this much fuss, but here goes. The VIN is LS23P8E, yes that is a real 340 GTS, as far as the fender tag goes remember these were just cars 30-40 years ago, not collectors. Owners did all kinds of things with original fender tags and engines, trans and anything else. It was an LA built car most of those did not get a build sheet left in the car for some reason. If you look at the GTS registry all LA cars are autos too. And yes the VIN and body numbers do match. I have a copy of original title from Arizona and I was recently contacted by someone who thinks they know who used to own this car. He gave some details about it that seem to match, going to give him a call and see if he has any more information. I will post it on here to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Hey all, didnt think it would stir up quite this much fuss, but here goes. The VIN is LS23P8E, yes that is a real 340 GTS, as far as the fender tag goes remember these were just cars 30-40 years ago, not collectors. Owners did all kinds of things with original fender tags and engines, trans and anything else. It was an LA built car most of those did not get a build sheet left in the car for some reason. If you look at the GTS registry all LA cars are autos too. And yes the VIN and body numbers do match. I have a copy of original title from Arizona and I was recently contacted by someone who thinks they know who used to own this car. He gave some details about it that seem to match, going to give him a call and see if he has any more information. I will post it on here to see what everyone thinks. Thanks.

With that being said, I think you`ve got a very fair price on a desirable A-body. Good luck with the sale.

Nice car at a good price regardless of VINs and the other crap that doesn't matter to me. At a car show the "experts" may look at your VIN but that is about it. I am done with car shows anyway. I don't think I have seen where it is yet.

DUHHHHH ... must of been drooooling over photos of vehicle ....."asking $11,500 PM for more info. Located in Southern Minnesota. " NICE car would look nice next to my 69 swinger ....BUT NO room ... Need to get rid of one first ...

Anyone remember the '69 Dart in Florida with 440/4 speed, where the owner had his own title made up with "L" in the 5th digit? What ever happened with that car?

Alot of FABO members are in the same position i am in .. need to get rid of something to buy something ... I am out of room ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back