1968 Dodge dart 318 5.2 restore

-

spazman1990

Reaction score
Hello all im new to this forums and alot of understanding of the old style cars i know the basics of engines how to change oil etc. However i'm not very well at understanding the basic principles behind things like the what and the why currently in the process of changing all that.

However i'm looking for sum information on Drums brakes first time working on this car alot of things are neglected not well maintained, installing new brake line along with Brake drums and shoes i'm currently stuck and i understand that Napa should have the correct springs for his car below is a picture on the cars engine in it's current state, Along with the brakes before and after i took the springs and shoes off i need a kit for the springs i believe i got the correct shoes size mostly cuz theirs only two options at auto zone and the 9's are to small so the car must use the 10's.

I appreciate any input that i can get. Thanks to anyone that replys.

everything's getting a cleaning along with Powder coating along with body work and paint once the engine and brakes are taken care of.

Should be able to get spring kits for them no problem. Try rock auto.com or even summit racing. I would really look at those wheel cylinders too, make sure they're not leaking. Let's see some pictures of the whole car.

Ian

The wheel Cylinders are toast all the way around along with the brake line. I didn't realize this site had to be approved by a mod and posted twice ops sorry op. yeah i was looking at Summit racing for a conversion kit for the brakes this was the best route at the time. i will look into it on there site thanks for sum information. napa wasent a option at least not for me i guess.

spazman1990,The part#s are H386 return spring kit,33507 and 33508 FT.wheel cyl. These are Autozone#s.However I would replace the wheel cylinders but I hate new spring kits China Junk I'd try to clean and reuse the OE. Mopar ones USA made way better than new!

I broke 1 spring so far just wanted a back up. I understand that springs kinda are springy so wont work best with 68 parts on the car :D

If the part#s I gave You don't help I will be parting out a 67 GT Dart might have some good brake hardware? Just let me know:)

Here is a post from an older thread that I saved in my notes from krazykuda, hope he doesn't mind. I thought it was most helpful for rebuilding the '68 rear drum brakes:

"REAR BRAKES REBUILD INFO (from krazykuda on FABO):
I tell the parts store to look up a 72 Duster 340 or 318 car with 10" rear brakes. Get all of the parts for a 72 Duster.

The 68 10" brakes used a lower return spring that went from the front shoe to the self adjuster and the spring and cable assy attached to the other part of the self adjusting lever.

The 72 brakes used a lower spring that went from the front shoe directly to the back shoe with a radial spring for the self adjuster.

Order shoes, left and right hardware kits, and spring kit for a 72 Duster. Then you will have everything to make it like the 72 system.

Also the spring that goes on the rear brakes for the parking brake lever is available at NAPA part number 80744 and come 2 in a box. this is the oval spring that fits on the front of the parking brake strut that goes from the front shoe to the rear shoe at the top.

Also inspect the shoes when you pick them up. They sometimes give you shoes with triangular holes for the top two springs -->it won't work. You need the shoes with the round hole.

The 72 series parts may be easier to get a hold of and I think easier to install."

If the part#s I gave You don't help I will be parting out a 67 GT Dart might have some good brake hardware? Just let me know:)

I might be able to work something out with my friend. he wants to delete the chrome on the siding. I might be able to get him to get sum cuz hes missing a few. not sure as of yet on what his full plans are for the car :D Send me sum pictures of the car and stuff. You parting the full car?

-
Back