1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340 Build

-

DragginSteel

Reaction score
I picked up this car almost a year ago, I'll start working on it for a while then switch over to other projects. I like to consider myself a 50-60's customizer, not a muscle car guy, but I do have a fondness for old Mopars, especially the late 60's Dodges. I'm not a purest, custom is better. Here's how its going.
July 2016 159.jpg

What I am told the car was a donor car for a 6? 4 door dodge dart, then left outside where somebody was able to throw rocks through the windows. For some reason they took the car almost completely apart and of course along the way parts disappeared. The VIN number says it is a 68 Dart GTS with a 340 and an automatic. the engine number does not match the frame number, but the engine is a 340. Don't ask me why anyone would destroy a GTS to rebuild a 4 door hunter green with vinyl to and black seats dart, I don't know.

IMG_20160901_204446051.jpg
IMG_20160901_204504690.jpg

Sorry If I screw the pictures, new to your forum. I really appreciate the information provided here

IMG_20160901_204531877.jpg

So did you get the VIN number from the engine off the bellhousing rail? That is where you would find it for 1968. The VIN will not match the numbers stamped in the core support and trunk lip, the SO# on the bottom right of the fender tag will match those numbers, hopefully the tag is still present. Cool car, I have had one just like it, same color and wish I had never sold it. I see it is a factory A/C car too, and has a later thermoquad intake.

IMG_20170519_114418332.jpg
IMG_20170519_114427612.jpg

As you can see I'm not dealing with much rust, I grew up in Indiana and lived in Florida for 20 years I know rust.

So did you get the VIN number from the engine off the bellhousing rail? That is where you would find it for 1968. The VIN will not match the numbers stamped in the core support and trunk lip, the SO# on the bottom right of the fender tag will match those numbers, hopefully the tag is still present. Cool car, I have had one just like it, same color and wish I had never sold it. I see it is a factory A/C car too, and has a later thermoquad intake.
I will re look at the numbers; I go the number off the bellhousing, but I don't remember looking at the fender tag. The A/C compressor had been pilfered off the car when I got it. the intake is from a 360 and apparently was put there to hold the plastic bag down to keep the motor clean. Thanks for your help.

Fortunately I found a donor car that had parts like glass and bumpers, bumper brackets, things that would have been terribly expensive to acquire off eBay.

.IMG_20170326_12482x.jpg

.IMG_20170326_12491x.jpg

.IMG_20170326_12520x.jpg

IMG_20170519_114201295.jpg

Mostly Stock This is a low budget build. Some of you guys ordering parts from Summit amaze me.

So that's a years worth of progress in an hour. Should be more motivated to post going forward. Thanks for looking.

I hope you realize that the door glass from a convertible is different than a 2-door hardtop and will not seal at the top rear as it it is shaved about 3/16" from about 10" on the rear of the glass. It is hard to find and people with convertibles are always looking for it. 2-door hardtop door glass is the same from 67-72. Also the rear bumper for a 67 is unique as the back-up lights are in the bumper.

I hope you realize that the door glass from a convertible is different than a 2-door hardtop and will not seal at the top rear as it it is shaved about 3/16" from about 10" on the rear of the glass. It is hard to find and people with convertibles are always looking for it. 2-door hardtop door glass is the same from 67-72. Also the rear bumper for a 67 is unique as the back-up lights are in the bumper.
Thanks, appreciate your comments, good news I knew nothing is easy when it comes to restoring old cars.

What part of Clifton? Mom lives there, and I get up there every now and then. Car is looking good.

-
Back