1968 Dodge Dart hood vents

-

Rogerdodger

Reaction score
Thought I would share this as it might be useful for some. I put air vents in the hood and inserts to help move out some hot air. I posted a link to show how it works.
https://youtube.com/shorts/mkouaezgtTU?feature=share
IMG_1239.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg

That's pretty impressive, an Air Grabbers got nothing on you!

I liked the tassels on there

I bet at speed that will really cool things down under the hood
Any chance you took "before" measurements of the Temps?

(It may even be visible in the coolant temps)

I liked the tassels on there

I bet at speed that will really cool things down under the hood
Any chance you took "before" measurements of the Temps?

(It may even be visible in the coolant temps)
I have not collected temps yet. I will plug the vents and see where the temps go, then unplug and see. I want to do this on a hot day and hopefully the outside temps and humidity will be very similar while I run both tests.

I would live to see if air goes into the holes at road speed, the cowl is a high pressure zone on a car at speed.

I suspect you will get a ventury effect as the air passes the cutouts and the underhood pressure.

Would love to see some short yarn strings in the slots so if air is going in or out the strings will follow

I would live to see if air goes into the holes at road speed, the cowl is a high pressure zone on a car at speed.

I suspect you will get a ventury effect as the air passes the cutouts and the underhood pressure.

Would love to see some short yarn strings in the slots so if air is going in or out the strings will follow
When I get some testing done, I will post the results. I suspect it will be a venturi effect also, but I will try yarn. These vents on the side will not likely be a high-pressure area. The movement of the strips of paper towels is caused by the fan blowing air back. There was probably a reason MOPAR did not slot these from the factory. Anyway, time will tell.

The movement of the strips of paper towels is caused by the fan blowing air back
My stock moved air about 60mph (IIRC) at about 2000 rpm but at speed you have air moving on both sides.

I suspect the air under the hood will be moving slower than the air above the hood and create a low pressure where the slits are but where the cowel is the air gets compressed trying to turn and creates a high pressure.

It will be very I tresting.

:popcorn::thumbsup:

Makes me want to get out the yarn and masking tape!

My stock moved air about 60mph (IIRC) at about 2000 rpm but at speed you have air moving on both sides.

I suspect the air under the hood will be moving slower than the air above the hood and create a low pressure where the slits are but where the cowel is the air gets compressed trying to turn and creates a high pressure.

It will be very I tresting.

:popcorn::thumbsup:

Makes me want to get out the yarn and masking tape!
Maybe I will have some time this week to put it to the test.

-
Back