1968 HURST HEMI Factory lightweight S/S DART

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who it is, but anytime somebody want to hurry a sale "call ASAP", etc., I get suspicious. Besides, doesn't "already consigned to go to auction next week" mean he's contracted to have the cars at auction?

I don't know who it is, but anytime somebody want to hurry a sale "call ASAP", etc., I get suspicious. Besides, doesn't "already consigned to go to auction next week" mean he's contracted to have the cars at auction?

I was thinking it sounded a little suspicious too. good thing I am not gonna get it though. lol

i send him an email, and he wrote me this back

Hi Peter,
Thank you for the inquiry, As I put in the ad, both of these cars have been consigned to an auction company.
The auction company sent an appraiser to look at both cars and evaluate them.
The 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A was appraised at $86,000 and the 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart was appraised for $165,000 so as this was a last minute thing to advertise them on Craigslist. I am asking $75,000 for the Challenger T/A which is $11,000 below it's appraised value and I am asking $125,000 for the Hemi Dart which is $40,000 below it's appraised value.
My whole issue is that I don't have very much time before they are picked up for auction, so I reduced the price in hopes that someone will take advantage.
The auction house has stated that my Challenger T/A will bring at least $70,000 and in his opinion it will go even higher as the car is very nice and has the right equip.
He also expressed that the Hemi Dart will bring in at least $120,000
with this info, I feel as though my asking prices are fair and reasonable.
If I can send you any further info, please feel free to contact me either by email or by phone @ (860) 417-3705
Thank You and GOD BLESS

Bob told me the story ..

1st ........he said he had 25 calls on the car.
I told him there was no price on the dart, and peeps would call because of that.

2nd ........I asked the price and he told me about the car for 10 minuets.

Bob's story is the Dart is an old upstate NY factory race car that wrecked the first time out...not bad but enough it was put in storage.

Then Hurst and the factory agreed to reframe the car..yep that's what Bob told me......strange that it was not to badly wrecked they would need to do this...

keep in mind the wording reframe....not rebody

then someone..which he named did the work out west...I am not familiar with any high end mopar peeps,but Bob said the name like I should have heard of the restorer/body man

and then some old school NC mopar man did the motor/trans/rear switch..Here again he said the name but I know nothing of mopar peeps other then old school magazine racers..

then bob said he does not have ANY doc to prove this,NONE
but says who ever gets thes docs will have a big $$$ Dart..

finally I said well the vin should solve all issues LO23...so Bob says no its not an LO23 because they kept the vin on the car (NON LO23) and it is titled as a non LO23...so I say OK,give me the name of the auction house so I can bid on the car..he stated he did not know the auction house as a friend had set that up...

by then I had to go..it was too long of a bad story.

I hope Bob is not to ill....

Thats the same guy who sold a rough 67 GTS 383/auto to a member here on FABO who lives in Florida, BUT, he didn't disclose the real condition of the car, bent frame, mini tubbed, screwed up front end etc.
The dude is fulla ****. I saw that Hemi Dart at his house, and he wouldn't let me in his garage, I had to look through the open door. I think he was trying to keep me from looking at the VIN.
Looks great, though, but I wouldn't buy it. He's been "real sick" for a long time now too.

Geo

SCAMMERS SUCK!!! guys sounds like a real clown. makes other mopar guys look bad. at least he is a known scammer though. hopefully nobody gets screwed over by him

what this thread would ignite. I'm glad you guys took the initiative to see that there's no "illness" etc, just someone trying to scam a fool and their money.

Had a close friend buy a 70 Chevelle SS BigBlock/4 spd convertible. All docs etc....well it was eventually (after he bought it) exposed as a clone. I really like to think the world is a better place, but these scammers tend to make skeptics of anything you see these days.

I also like to think that there's a higher power in the universe that levels the playing field (eventually) for folks like this.

Thanks all,

Pete

The Dart is a clone...and it was built by a guy in Arizona, who is on this board. He sold it to a man in Iowa and then it ended up to a man in CT, that now claims the car a real LO23

I just cleaned out my computer and all the info from the man in AZ to the man in CT along with talking to the guy in IA

I am adding this... good reading:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1465532151.html

Yes, all your posts....are talking about the same guy. He posted here on this forum a few times and was selling a car due to being ill. He sent me pictures of a convertible I was interested in. Along with a story and pictures of the other cars. (showing off). I saw the Dart and mentioned to him about the guy in Iowa that I talked too a few times and that was his old car and it was a clone. Never heard form him again and he has never posted again here in this forum.

both links are dead now. i personally know the guy you are talking about in az, was this his blue Dart? if so, he told me that he has had some phone calls since selling it, with the poeple that were calling him claiming that the car was an original Hemi car.

both links are dead now. i personally know the guy you are talking about in az, was this his blue Dart? if so, he told me that he has had some phone calls since selling it, with the poeple that were calling him claiming that the car was an original Hemi car.
Yes he is the guy who built it in the mid-90's and sold it to a guy in Iowa.. I think he goes by HemiCop (the original owner) and just sold a yellow Racing Dart not long ago.

yep, that is the guy. i know when i spoke to hemicop about this he was dumbfounded that someone would try to get that much for it. I remember hemicop telling me that one of the phone calls he got the caller was persistant that it was original, and my buddy asked how many originals were built with a motor/mid plate. hemicop is working on his third Dart with a Hemi in it, I helped him unload a Barton 528 when I was down there not to long ago. His friend that does fab work has my car in his shop...

Guys, thanks for acknowledging I'm not connected with this scammer in any way, personally THAT means something to me. Anyway, as I pm'd another poster I'm a little surprised & confused someone would be so stupid and criminal as to even try to present an obvious clone as such a famous & well documented type car. The kind of money these cars bring,even in a depressed economy, warrants any legitimate buyer to research his investment thoroughly & believe me, I have NO problem telling anyone when, how, where it was built & who helped me. If the seller got burned, that's his problem--IMO he has no Right to even try to recuperate his investment, much less make money due to his stupidity & I surely won't have anything to do with any attempted scam. These things make all of "us" look bad to those just getting into Mopars or the car hobby......

Sorry, if by posting this "ad", I got you feeling bad in any way. Originally, it was on CL close to Boston (me). I was thinking that if it was legit, that someone on this board would want to know about such a rare car.

As it turns out, you seem to have an intimate knowledge of it's history, so in a round about way, maybe the post saved a fellow "A Body" board member a lot of time and potentially a lot of money.

I recently sold a '65 Buick convertible to a guy from Minnesota (much to my better judgement). It was a long distance transaction, he never came to see the car, made several payments, stopped taking calls, supposed car carrier driver was going to give me final payment after I signed the title over....all the "stuff" scams are made of.

In the end it worked out, but there's so many angles/aspects of collector/muscle cars to get burned (on either side of the transaction), it's no wonder the scammers have a picnic with this "stuff".

The gray area that "tribute" or "clones" have created for scammers sucks. I have a friend who bought a 70 Chevelle SS BB convertible. All "Chevy Historical" data was supposedly in tact. This guy is a die hard Chevy guy and he still got scammed.

I really think it's great to build 'em and drive or race 'em. It's what happens when the "open market" gets their hands on it and sees a way to make a quick buck.

Pete

to it not being a "real" Hemi Dart.

"This car was built to be just like the original (LO23). "

Still a dirt bag, but....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1485291060.html

This is really wild...I know what he paid for the Dart...some one has to insane to pay that or anywhere near that. Besides, by the looks of it....he Ash done nothing with it. But he did change the valve covers.... I know this from pictures he sent to me while sending pictures of his other cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back