1968 Race Hemi Vibration Damper

-

SSing

Reaction score
Hi, Looking for a good price worthy dependable damper for my 1968 SS/B Nostalgia Racing Application. Doesn´t need to be the latest super trick stuff, but good enough to handle at least 7500 rpm.
I ask, because as usual, there may be some expensive not so good stuff on the market, but also some less expensive very good, and only you experienced racers know…
Picture of the thin type damper, used on the ´68 race hemi
Thank you, Stefan
20170623_180358 RH Damper Forum.jpg

Yes, well I was thinking of making a short cut on this Forum, but I guess I have to do some digging on my own...

Yes, well I was thinking of making a short cut on this Forum, but I guess I have to do some digging on my own...

If you are wanting to spend as little as you can, there is a Chinese fluidamper knock of by PRW. It is actually engraved with marks at 90*'s, not painted on.

For a bit more money (about $350.00 IIRC) you can get an Innovaters West damper. Probably dollar for dollar the best on the market.

I've posted before but I'm not a fan of elastomer type dampers.

Hi, Looking for a good price worthy dependable damper for my 1968 SS/B Nostalgia Racing Application. Doesn´t need to be the latest super trick stuff, but good enough to handle at least 7500 rpm.
I ask, because as usual, there may be some expensive not so good stuff on the market, but also some less expensive very good, and only you experienced racers know…
Picture of the thin type damper, used on the ´68 race hemi
Thank you, Stefan
View attachment 1715059878
........Is that a for sure 68 race hemi damper, I have 1 with all those holes in it and wondered what it was from.......thanks.......kim....

If you are wanting to spend as little as you can, there is a Chinese fluidamper knock of by PRW. It is actually engraved with marks at 90*'s, not painted on.

For a bit more money (about $350.00 IIRC) you can get an Innovaters West damper. Probably dollar for dollar the best on the market.

I've posted before but I'm not a fan of elastomer type dampers.

Thanks. Yes, looks like IW has good stuff. Now I didn´t say but I also would like it to look somewhat old school, so it leans towards the Mopar Perf damper. And yes I don´t think there are any SFI serted elastomer dampers...

........Is that a for sure 68 race hemi damper, I have 1 with all those holes in it and wondered what it was from.......thanks.......kim....

Yes, thickness is the difference. The Street Hemi used a thicker one... 1 3/4" or so

Thanks. Yes, looks like IW has good stuff. Now I didn´t say but I also would like it to look somewhat old school, so it leans towards the Mopar Perf damper. And yes I don´t think there are any SFI serted elastomer dampers...

There are several elastomer dampers that are SFI rated.

You could possibly get your stock American made one rebuilt to your quality specifications?

That looks like a 383/440 balancer,and is what I'm putting on my 528 hemi.

There are several elastomer dampers that are SFI rated.
Ok thanks, I haven´t seen one and was thinking the way they are made. Is there a date for expiring on these typ dampers? I mean rubber being dried out... or maybe the material today is stable...

Ok thanks, I haven´t seen one and was thinking the way they are made. Is there a date for expiring on these typ dampers? I mean rubber being dried out... or maybe the material today is stable...

No expiration date...but because they way they function, they literally self destruct to protect the crank. The rubber will lose its durometer (get soft) and when it does, it looses his ability to absorb the harmonics which destroy cranks. It can also happen if the rubber dries out and gets hard.

I personally use Fluidamper on everything I have and most of what I do. Never had a failure. Most of the time, my personal stuff turned 8800 RPM on dead STOCK cranks. Never broke a crank. Had a buddy with a nova, he couldn't fit the bigger diameter Fluidmaper so he went with the 6.25 diameter (IIRC on size...I know I'm close) and he beat the hell out of it, turning 8000 RPM. He never broke a crank. We both ran clutches. Plus there were many others I used and never had a failure.

Not trying to sell you on FD. Many guys on the web call them parts breakers. I've never seen it. And I've used many of them and still do.

If you are Leary of the FD, that Innovaters West would be my next choice. I try to stay away from elastomer ( I call them rubber band dampers) because they are really sensitive overall weight, durometer of the rubber and the condition of the rubber.

I was hearing bad stuff about FD, so in 1990 I called ATI to buy and test their damper. My bob weight at that time was 1670 grams, which for a Chrysler was damn light. I called ATI and the tech guy was going to sell me an off the shelf damper. I was at least 200 grams lighter than anything I'd seen at the time. They kept telling me Bob weight didn't matter. They tried to tell me ROM doesn't matter ( the engine on the track, never went below 5800 RPM) so the damper needed to be tuned for use up that high on the RPM range. Still, giving me a off the shelf part.

Needless to say, I hung up and never called back.

Just my .02 and real world experience.

No expiration date...but because they way they function, they literally self destruct to protect the crank. The rubber will lose its durometer (get soft) and when it does, it looses his ability to absorb the harmonics which destroy cranks. It can also happen if the rubber dries out and gets hard.

I personally use Fluidamper on everything I have and most of what I do. Never had a failure. Most of the time, my personal stuff turned 8800 RPM on dead STOCK cranks. Never broke a crank. Had a buddy with a nova, he couldn't fit the bigger diameter Fluidmaper so he went with the 6.25 diameter (IIRC on size...I know I'm close) and he beat the hell out of it, turning 8000 RPM. He never broke a crank. We both ran clutches. Plus there were many others I used and never had a failure.

Not trying to sell you on FD. Many guys on the web call them parts breakers. I've never seen it. And I've used many of them and still do.

If you are Leary of the FD, that Innovaters West would be my next choice. I try to stay away from elastomer ( I call them rubber band dampers) because they are really sensitive overall weight, durometer of the rubber and the condition of the rubber.

I was hearing bad stuff about FD, so in 1990 I called ATI to buy and test their damper. My bob weight at that time was 1670 grams, which for a Chrysler was damn light. I called ATI and the tech guy was going to sell me an off the shelf damper. I was at least 200 grams lighter than anything I'd seen at the time. They kept telling me Bob weight didn't matter. They tried to tell me ROM doesn't matter ( the engine on the track, never went below 5800 RPM) so the damper needed to be tuned for use up that high on the RPM range. Still, giving me a off the shelf part.

Needless to say, I hung up and never called back.

Just my .02 and real world experience.

Thank you for taking the time. You may just have change my direction...

Stefan SSing, I just think that those motors are quite pricey to put together, and to try to run the old school Dampener, when your going to buzz it up, is a little tooooo Much of a gamble now days.
Check with a couple of the Hemi Builders and see what they say.
But my personal preference would be to use an SFI Dampener, and those work well threw out the RPM range.
But I do think it's cool that you want to run a somewhat period correct 426 Hemi... Thats Awesome.
Just if you done go that route keep a close eye on it.
Best of luck.

Stefan SSing, I just think that those motors are quite pricey to put together, and to try to run the old school Dampener, when your going to buzz it up, is a little tooooo Much of a gamble now days.
Check with a couple of the Hemi Builders and see what they say.
But my personal preference would be to use an SFI Dampener, and those work well threw out the RPM range.
But I do think it's cool that you want to run a somewhat period correct 426 Hemi... Thats Awesome.
Just if you done go that route keep a close eye on it.
Best of luck.

Thank you racehog, and no as you say, you must not be fanatic to a point when it turn in to stupidity.
I lean towards a Fluidamper #720311, witch aside from being a Performance Damper that will stand the rpm´s, actually look quite clean and simple.
But yes, I will do some more asking around...

You mean like any older type big block balancer? A picture if possible would be nice...
And thanks all for your input.

It just looks like a 383/440 steel crank balancer.

That damper looks the same as 1 I had on a 67 440 and a 68 383 2bbl. Most dampeners only had 0-2 holes but these 2 engines had that 1 with the extra holes. Kim

Well ok but I opened this thread, and I would like to clarify if the damper used on the ´68 Race Hemi can be found elsewhere, before I leave it. Any #:s or pictures would be sure interesting...

-
Back