1969/ 1970 A-Body bench seat, Headrests

-

1970mopar340

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to REMOVE the headrests from a '69/ '70 Dart bench seat??? There is no "visible" latch that I'd picture myself depressing, in order to remove the rest. Ideas???
Merry Christmas!

Can anyone tell me how to REMOVE the headrests from a '69/ '70 Dart bench seat??? There is no "visible" latch that I'd picture myself depressing, in order to remove the rest. Ideas???
Merry Christmas!

Not sure about bench seats but the 69 buckets have grooves in the round rods that go down into the seat. Inside the seat there are these pieces that catch/latch against the grooves. The catches are spring loaded so they can slide in and out of the grooves. Unfortunately after 40 years of just sitting in the grooves the latch/catch gets stuck a little. My driver headrest came out after some forcing but the passenger wouldn't budge. I finally laid a blanket over the rear seat and piled some thick wooden blocks on the blanket so I could slide a long 2X4 under the head rest and pry against the wooden blocks. You have to do it carefully and try and push against one side at a time (up against the rod) that way your not trying to break it loose on both sides at once. That's the way I got my bucket seat head rests off. You can see the results in the pics below. If you're getting the seat redone the upholstery guy can easily release the latches once the back of the seat upholstery has been removed.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04124.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC04125.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC04127.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC04128.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC04129.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 304
Mine wouldn't budge. So I sprayed some penetrating lube on the passenger side rods and let it run down for a couple of minutes. The popped right out with just a firm jerk.

-
Back