1969 318 stock engine color

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Anybody know what the stock engine color is on a 1969 318? I was assuming it was a turquoise.

It depends on the build date of your car and maybe the plant it was built at.
Hamtramck built cars (at least B-Bodies) were red or blue.
At the start of the '69 model year they were red, and somewhere around May near the year end they were painted blue.
I have owned several and looked at many more that were this way.

I had a 1969 Coronet with an original 318, that motor was red.

I had a 1969 Coronet with an original 318, that motor was red.
It probably wasn't a late build car then.
I have owned over 10 '69 Coronets and still have 5 of them and all 5 that are left have varying build dates from very early which is September of '68 (red 318) December '68 (red 318) February '69 (still red 318) Late May '69 (blue 318) and early July '69 (blue 318).
I even have a late build 273 2 bbl out of a '69 Dart 4 door that is definitely blue (not red or turquoise) for comparison sake.
I have literally seen over 100 '69 model 318 cars in junkyards and car shows etc. that back this up.
BTW, there is a lot of other differences in equipment other than engine color during the model year run that i have noticed, but this isn't what this thread is all about.

So what i am getting is early 69 is same as commando red, late 69 is a medium blue, but not turquoise.

Heres current vision. 69 Barracuda notchback day two car. Car is prob going to be painted factory 69 red, 340-S clone w blacked out tail panel, black steelies w chrome lugs, black side stripes, and 73 dart sport twin scoop. I was thinking a red engine would be too much red, and the blue would break it up a bit. Not sure of its build date. I have no data plate or build sheet. Only the vin.

Heres current vision. 69 Barracuda notchback day two car. Car is prob going to be painted factory 69 red, 340-S clone w blacked out tail panel, black steelies w chrome lugs, black side stripes, and 73 dart sport twin scoop. I was thinking a red engine would be too much red, and the blue would break it up a bit. Not sure of its build date. I have no data plate or build sheet. Only the vin.
Honestly, if you are doing a day two car to your tastes, paint the engine what color you like and call it done.

Was going to add some transdapt chrome valve covers my dad gave me years ago, and a 10" open element chrome air cleaner, but keep the engine a stock color. Kind of like how somebody would have dressed it up soon after purchasing.

-
Back