1969 340 radiator

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
I've been eying a stock radiator for my dart on an internet site. They seem to be very hard to find for some reason. The guy wants almost $400 with shipping for a used untested radiator with the right numbers on it. Is there another option out there for a stock looking radiator that accepts the factory fan shroud ? I see a lot of people are using aluminum radiators but for now I kinda want to keep it stock so copper is what i prefer.

Well i have a 22" radiator i picked up on ebay a few years back that was supposed to be out of a big block car but im pretty sure its a /6 radiator. its a single core with a very small bottom tank. its was cheap but i don't think its gonna work.

the inlet and outlets have to be on the left side for older style water pump. It's not something i need right away . It seems like they always come up for sale when i don't have a lot of cash laying around or when I'm trying to buy some other expensive part lol.

i have a 67 rad out of a 273 valiant with h/d cooling system. its a little beat but it was cooling the car when i swaped it out for aluminum. i will let it go for 60$ + the ride. it will ship in a box from my aluminum rad.

Attachments

• IMG-20120903-00183.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG-20120903-00185.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG-20120903-00186.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 375
If it is the radiator I know of, it has been for sale for a real long time. There are plenty of other options unless you are looking for a number matching radiator to a show car that was originally a 340.

I'll keep ya in mind discharger. Sounds like not a bad deal. Id really like to find a 69 radiator or a new one. Anybody know how much it costs to have a radiator re cored?

I don't have a show car and it probably will never be but its an original 340 car.

Numbers are why parts are expensive-I have bought radiators on the cheap but you will have to catch someone asleep to buy a numbers rad for 60 bucks

Yeah i hear that d5667. Some people get carried away with the expensive part to the point where i wonder if they actually want to sell the part or if they are just showing off the rare parts they have collected lol.

I'd grab the 67 273 radiator. It will be perfect except for the number. If it needs recoring put in a 3 row. It may be 3 rows already.

I got 2 fresh recored radiators. Both 69s one out of a 340 car and one out of a 318 a/c car. I dont recall #s but can look. $450 for 340 and $200 for 318 radiator. Keep in mind, both fresh recored 3 row radiators. Bolt in and go. But if #s dont matter go aftermarket.

I'd grab the 67 273 radiator. It will be perfect except for the number. If it needs recoring put in a 3 row. It may be 3 rows already.

X2. The original radiator in my 340 Duster had to be recored so I had a third row added. It made a noticeable difference in the engine temperature holding steady during idle and low speed stop and go traffic.It cost about $400 to have it recored with the extra row.

If it is the radiator I know of, it has been for sale for a real long time. There are plenty of other options unless you are looking for a number matching radiator to a show car that was originally a 340.

And for good reason. $400 is too much for a correct numbers core 69 340 auto or manual radiator.

It cost about $375-$450 around here to recore a radiator with high density fin count. Original 340 radiators are 3 core. But you have a high density core that has a higher fin count and there are more rows added (rows will be closer together than stock). That should cool your car fine if the block has be picked clean of rust and it's tuned correctly. Just a stock fin count should be fine for even a warmed up 340 motor.

And for good reason. $400 is too much for a correct numbers core 69 340 auto or manual radiator.

It cost about $375-$450 around here to recore a radiator with high density fin count. Original 340 radiators are 3 core. But you have a high density core that has a higher fin count and there are more rows added (rows will be closer together than stock). That should cool your car fine if the block has be picked clean of rust and it's tuned correctly. Just a stock fin count should be fine for even a warmed up 340 motor.

Show me where the cheep core 340 radiators are all hiding and I'll buy one! Lol

I had my 69 340 radiator rebuilt to a 3 core about 5 years ago. Still works great! All the 69 340 cars I've had over the years had 2 core radiators. Off the top of my head...? 2949068.

The 2929068 radiator is the rare heavy duty 3 core, it is hard to find and next to the 68 hemi radiator is the most expensive one. I have a very nice used one I'd sell for $500 shipped. If you think that is too much see what Glen Ray gets for them, last time I looked it was like $1,100. and the 68 hemi one was $1300.

I have one I bought off a member here, $200.00 + shipping. I will double check the number on it. It came out of a running car.

OK i did a little more research and it appears in 1969 the 340 came with #2949066 or 2949068. the later was for a/c cars i'm guessing?? but it came int 273 and 318 cars too. i'm guessing id need my build sheet to know witch one my car came with so im betting on the cheaper one! lol

The 2929068 radiator is the rare heavy duty 3 core, it is hard to find and next to the 68 hemi radiator is the most expensive one. I have a very nice used one I'd sell for $500 shipped. If you think that is too much see what Glen Ray gets for them, last time I looked it was like $1,100. and the 68 hemi one was $1300.

And it will cost around $500 to recore your $500 radiator for a total of $1000. For $100 more you get perfect all new repro.

The guy wanting $400 can't move his.

A 68 Hemi radiator is a 68 A-body 383 radiator and only used in that application. It was not shared with common 318 A/C cars like the 340 radiators.
And they made a ton of 69 340 cars.

-
Back