1969 A56 Barracuda Notchie

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am correct by looking at the production numbers that this car is one of 68 built like it? I only had the part of the fender tag that is legible and the numbers the guy posted in the ad....

4 speed cuda package coupe for 1969. That was according to http://www.plymouthbarracuda.net/information/1969-barracuda-production.shtml

Update: Full VIN:
A56 G31 M21 M47 R11 V78 R4 R4 H4X X9 215 054695 E55 D21 BH23 P9B 293356

Is the "cuda Ornamentation (M47) the scoops, or should it say "340 Cuda" on the lower quarters?

that's definitely a rare fish if those #s are correct.I did'nt know that the notchbacks had such low production numbers compared to the fastbacks.No wonder they rarely come up for sale.

One thing that gets to me and I see this alot lately. A person will spend lots of time getting the interior, exterior, and engine looking good but just leave the engine compartment and trunk looking like crap. I dont get it???
Chas

Has anyone seen this car in person; if so is it a rust bucket with filler and paint over it. What would an approximate value be? I see that it has met the reserve. Wayne

The guy conducting the auction stated that there was someone from this site that was going to look at the car in person...he said the guy was coming from 8hrs away in NorCal. I guess that we will not really know until the auction is over. BTW, it is not me. I am in San Diego.

Hey 69CudaFan, I see that there were no more bids and it sold for 6995.00. If the NorCal guy looked at it, apparently there was too much to replace and repair. I wish he would sign in and give his findings; because I would have thought it would have been worth the next increment 7095.00. No pictures of the bottom were listed! Wayne

The guy conducting the auction stated that there was someone from this site that was going to look at the car in person...he said the guy was coming from 8hrs away in NorCal. I guess that we will not really know until the auction is over. BTW, it is not me. I am in San Diego.

Sounds like someone from my area but I haven't heard a peep.

I am the guy from Nor Cal that looked at it. Ive been looking for an A56 Notchback for well over 2 years now. It was sad to look at the car, it was exaclty what ive been looking for, but was it too rough of condition for me to buy even though the price was right. It needed fenders, doors, hood, trunk lid left quarter panel, trunk floor and left rocker, plus much much more. The floor had been repaired with fiberglass patches all over as had the inner fenders. It had very bad rust problems but you couldnt really see the true extent with all the bad patchwork on the car. It was hit hard on the left rear with the addition of all the rust. I felt that the car needed a minimum of 10k worth of body panel replacement, plus the cost of regular body work, blocking and paint. It was very hard to pass up the car ive been searching for for so long, but I like my cars to be real nice solid cars, and this car could never be that way unless I spend a ton of money on it. I might not ever find another one, but I have 3 real rare Barracudas and a GTS that I now appreciate even more as all of them are real solid rust free cars. I did not bid on the car for a few reasons, one I didnt want to drive up the cost for someone that really wanted it, and two I feel the car in its current condition is only worth about 8k. I got on the forum wondering if anyone bought it, but I think that it was possibly bid up by the seller. If I didnt have so many great cars I would have considered it further. I hope that it goes to someone that has the time and energy to take on a project of this magnitude.

Too bad that the car needs that much work.Hopefully someone gives it the metalwork it needs and brings it back to stock condition.

It was odd how the bidding stopped after the first few days.I have a feeling it'll be back on ebay again soon,either by the current owner or by the winning bidder if they bought it sight unseen.

I thought it would go up to at least 8 - 9k. I talked with the seller while I was there and his hopes were for 10k. When I got there I thought it was possibly worth that, but after spending a good hour looking the car over I thought differently. My final conclusion was that if I were to buy the car, id have to use my 68 6 cyl coupe for a parts donor, and make one good car out of two. It was a tough decision not to get involved, but as I said before, I have many rare cars that have no issues like this one. As much as we love these old A body mopars, we all have to realize that there only A bodies, and there never gonna have any serious value. Its comical to me that this coupe was the car I would choose over any muscle car I could buy, and it sold for 7k and restored is probably only worth 25k at best. I must admit that if I knew the auction would have stayed that low, I would have bought it and used my 68 coupe 6 cyl car as a donar, but I did not want to drive the price up too high for a guy that really wanted the car. I thought best to just try and forget about it and appreciate the cars I have. Im very interested to see what happened to the car, if it really sold, or if it goes back on ebay, or ?

perfweld, Thank you for the very detailed report; this is what FABO is all about. I see that you are up early still thinking about that A56 Notchback. With a name like perfweld,I suspect that you are very capable of performing the necessary repairs; as am I. For this car to be completely restored and follow it through to the end, it is going to require someone like you with the talent,an excellent parts car, and the REAL love for this car that I see in you. Of course we all know that it will need a little more work than the first impression; when it can be assessed after dismanteling. But that is just a point of pride when taking on a project of this magnitude. My question is still - what does the bottom side of the car look like. I only have one car that has any holes in the tops of the fenders or hood and it came from Wisc. where road salt got it. A slight peck with a small hammer on any part of the subframe will cause a flake of rust to pop off an inch or larger. Also, the rear spring mounts are coming through the trunk floor. Back to the A56 - I see that everyone`s statements have been cleared up; about lack of detailing under the hood or trunk. Sometimes less is better than more. What exactly makes an A56 package? This is the first one that I have seen without stripes; and I have seen one red Notchback with stripes 340 and no hood scoops don`t know if it was an A56. perfweld, I believe that I would call the guy in a few days and say; if the sale falls through you have my number. It may be the only hope of this rare car to be returned to its former glory! God bless, Wayne

I expected this thread to die, but I see that it stirred up some discussion. I am the winner of the auction. I am not associated with the seller and have been looking for a 69 Barracuda for quite some time, so long I will not even begin to tell. I am aware the car is far from perfect, but I will say that I am happy that the auction stayed at $6995. The car needs some love, and perhaps after it arrives in San Diego I will treat it to what the car needs.

There is an outfit in Escondido that is near me called Hot Rods and Custom Stuff. I may blow the car apart and give it to their capable hands. I am not a bodyman by any stretch. I hope the mechanicals are sound (340 and 4 speed is a nice start). I know the market dictates price, but I did not really want to get into a bidding war with another member....

At any rate, I am excited, and the cars future looks brighter than someone that would cannibalize it....I am not a flipper, scammer, or dishonest. The car is coming to a good home.

Very cool, you will be happy with the mechanics of the car, they are in great shape. Start looking for a donor car asap for body panels. Im glad its going to a good home.

Mark

Congratulations,it's good to hear that car is going to a good home and will get the attention it deserves.Be sure to keep us updated on how the car is coming along.
You're also one of the lucky ones in an area where you can still find solid parts cars so you're in good shape in that dept as well.I remember hearing somewhere that the 69 barracuda hoods are the same as the 73-76 dart hoods,do you know if that's the case?
Could be a cheap way to get a hood if it's true.

Good luck with the resto.

Hey 69CudaFan, Since you`re the one who started this thread, its only fitting that you are the one to give this very special car the Love it needs; and it will need alot. Two qualified people have stated so. With that in mind, just secure a parts car as stated by perfweld; or the major panels to complete the job, and some of them are found on other cars as stated by 67GTConv. Just do this before you blow the car apart! It will give you peace of mind; instead of trying to reach any selfimposed deadlines without the parts on hand and no idea of where to find them. I am assuming that this is your first project of this size and that it is your only current one. Keep it that way until finished; this will require more entergy and resources than ever concieved. If you have any questions, FABO is your answer. Simply look through old threads for vendors ( some are not recommended ) or start a new thread and ask anything and you can expect some decent replys. We are all expecting pictures of the 69 when it arrives in San Diego in a new thread that will be beginnings of the restoration. God bless you, Wayne

No, but I am aware of that Fastback. It was owned by a guy who lives in Escondido. I think he acquired two Barracudas during an estate sale and sold them both, one on FEE-Bay and the other one here.

There is a thread here about that car, but I am not sure who he sold it to, I think it was someone local. Perhaps if you check the Mopar Club of San Diego, it is someone on there.

Congrats on the purchase. I am in Escondido and worked for the City for 10 years inspecting Automotive Service Establishments. In doing so I have seen cars come and go, and Randy at Hot Rods and Custom Stuff has turned out some wonderful rides including TWO Riddler Award Winners. No doubt you will like the work, just be prepared to pay for it.

If it were me, I would look for a nice solid coupe and transfer as little as possible....

I bought the A56 fastback from the guy in San Diego, its a great car, I drive it all the time.

That is too funny, due to the fact I called him about it, and was told "Sale Pending".....congrats on that one. I was a little turned off about the sun roof, but the rest of the car seemed really good.

Yeah the sunroof was a bummer, but its still a great car, theres only one spot of rust where the front window was leaking on the floor. Im repairing it now and it will get carpet and seat covers. I was looking for an A56 coupe and saw that and thought that it was a fair deal so I bought it. Its pretty much all original, a survivor car. Maybe when I paing it one day ill put a roof on it, but who knows, too many projects, so little time.

I too am attracted to the notchback.

Perfweld, could you post some pics of your cars ?

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back