1969 Barracuda Formula S project.

-
Been driving it quite a bit lately and have an issue with it popping through the carb just off idle once its warmed up. It idles perfect and runs great going down the highway but pops when leaving a stop. If I am very gentle or rev it up and leave with authority, it wont do it. It doesn't have a tach, so I would guess its popping around 1000-1200 rpm. Ive messed with the timing in both directions, and it doesn't make a difference.

Unfortunately in my experience, the popping you are describing was caused by a worn cam.....
I've read about that a few different places and would think there would be some valve train noise if the cam was worn that much. I'm going to dig into it and eliminate everything else before I throw a new cam in it. Thanks for the input.

Nice project sir! Had the same car [with an auto trans] as my first car back in '72 and is definitely one of those we say "got away, and wish I still had". Very cool that when you took it out for the first time you stopped at the cemetery! Hope you have MANY care free miles and fun in it!

Been driving it quite a bit lately and have an issue with it popping through the carb just off idle once its warmed up. It idles perfect and runs great going down the highway but pops when leaving a stop. If I am very gentle or rev it up and leave with authority, it wont do it. It doesn't have a tach, so I would guess its popping around 1000-1200 rpm. Ive messed with the timing in both directions, and it doesn't make a difference.
Could be a lean off idle condition

I'm hoping that is the issue! I ordered some richer rods for the carb that will be here today.
I relate that issue to my 40 years with Harleys. Customers would change exhaust and then experience that off idle "pop". Easier to tune out with efi tuners, but carb re-jetting and adjustments AFTER a good warm up did the trick. I also remember reading some years ago that Sox & Martin's engine guru the late Jake King used to change plugs (colder/hotter) rather than making jet changes to accommodate engine conditions. Good luck.

-
Back