1969 BB 4-speed Barracuda Formula S

-

moparphilll

Reaction score
Just picked this up as project Has a race hood on it what should it be or look like ???

Attachments

• tag 1969.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,069
Looks like someone cobbled a scoop on the stock flat hood. I did not look at your options on the fender tag closely other than it is an A53, but not sure if the turn signal indicators were listed, so I am not sure if that is the hood that came on the car. The car should have a stock flat hood. Ma Snart's photo thread has a ton of pics of what it should look like. Later Dart hoods are the same, though the bracing is supposed to be different if I remember correctly.

Good luck on your project. Since it is an A53 at first glance, take your time and make sure to do it right! Ask questions and there are a ton of members with intimate knowledge of these cars. I would recommend trying to keep the car as stock as possible. Look for a partial stamp of the VIN on the radiator support as well as the trunk lip area around where the weatherstripping goes. Bummer that the OG engine is missing and that the inners were cut for fenderwell headers. Start looking for proper parts! Great starting point, and I am partial to notchbacks over fastbacks. Nice find!

the tag is so hard to read, but heres a little info , dont know how correct it is...i will try another decoder
one sweet ride brand new. E53 4 speed ? cant make out the 7th digit in the VIN looks like a B

BH23:
Plymouth Barracuda
High
2 Door Hardtop

H9B: 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

273663: Sequence number

E53: Unknown
021: Unknown

CY2: Yellow (Dodge), Sunfire Yellow (Plymouth) Top Color
V2: (Dodge) Top Color------?????
H4W: Trim Grade/Style/Color H = High 4 = Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest W = White/Black
X9: Black (Dodge), Black Velvet (Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler & Imperial) Top Color
128: built 1/28/69
186989: order number

AO1: light package
AO6: sport group
A53: Trans Am Package--Formula S package
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C15: 70 only Deluxe Seat Belts

L51: Unknown
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
W25: stamped steel wheels
R11: am radio
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black

I'll take it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my name states.....BB-Dave....Big Block Dave

1 of 53 built!!!!!....383-S, 4speed, notchbacks, even has the black 383 sport stripe(V6X) like mine! These are pics from the '70s when my friend owned it. Now needing resto.............. Are you reselling it?????

Attachments

• T5 383-S notch in the '70s 006.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 984
  • T5 383-S notch in the '70s 002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 992
  • T5 383-S notch in the '70s 001.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 979
Can you wire brush the tag and re-photo? I'll decode it. Prior guy has stuff wrong........ Y2 Y2....not Y2 V2
E63...383
D21...4 speed
WOW, very nice to see another one survived!!!! Another friend (Rocky) has the sister to mine and yours. Rocky's is close to mine being T5 copper, but his has black interior and vinyl top where mine has saddle interior and top. Mine has sport stripe, his doesn't. Mine is console 4 speed, think his is non console? Mine needs resto, his is done!

Here's another one that's ALIVE.....this an ORIGINAL paint car!!!!!!!!! BLACK with RED SPORT stripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• blk383-S notch orig paint.bmp@15%.bmp
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,036
Here's another one that's ALIVE.....this an ORIGINAL paint car!!!!!!!!! BLACK with RED SPORT stripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cleaned tag

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 948
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_1462.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 961
1 of 53 built!!!!!....383-S, 4speed, notchbacks, even has the black 383 sport stripe(V6X) like mine! These are pics from the '70s when my friend owned it. Now needing resto.............. Are you reselling it?????

I just got it my buddy has been looking for a BB 68 -69 Dart but likes this Has offered 5K for it ??? I don't know the Market at all on these A-Bodies.. But it it cool to find car ordered with a BB 4-speed.. :burnout

It didn't come with an engine but I have some 383's And I bet the exhaust manifolds are hard to get....Do they make them repro now?

Well, this thread ought to get interesting in short order so let me chime in.

If it were me, I wouldn't sell to my friend for that unless he had the knowledge, resources (think $$) and intentions of trying to preserve a rare car. There are three things that I certain of: 1) I can promise that you likely spend more $$ than that car will be worth done in the end unless you can and will do the majority of the work yourself, but you can take solace in the fact that you will have a very rare fish on your hands in the end; and 2) If you sell this to your friend you will likely not come across another one; and finally, 3) The fact of the matter is that A bodies are not E bodies and this is not 5+ years ago. The market and economy remains soft, which may have been the impetus for you being able to even get your hands on the car for what I assume was less than the 5k your friend mentions paying you to take the car off your hands in the first place.

You are correct about the cost of original manifolds. Repops are not offered to my knowledge. There are members out here that have them, but they are commanding a pretty penny, and most are squirreling them away for something of their own. Also, not sure how readily available the BB bellhousing is either, but I know other members know with more BB know-how will perhaps chime in on that.

Just my $.02, but since you do not have the numbers matching block, there is no reason not to put some TTI headers on a 383 and call it day. Like I said before do your best within your abilities and budget to keep the car as OG as possible, but there will have to be some deviations unless you are patient enough to wait for opportunity to knock on correct, rare parts, and when they finally show up, expect they will cost you.

The first order of business would be to pull the back seat and see if there is an intact buildsheet back there. If it's there, set it aside and start a record in a binder on the car. I would attempt to get the backstory on the car from the previous owner and put that stuff in a three ring binder and start gathering parts and/or buy a parts car. Take a ton of pictures and keep a record of what you do to the car, records of parts bought, and $$ spent.

IMHO, if you friend is into Darts, let him find a Dart (there are plenty out there, and he can do with them what he will). There are PLENTY of people on here that are salivating over your find, they just have not come out and expressed it like BB Dave has. There are also many talented members that have the patience, $$, knowledge and some parts lying around to treat this car to a proper resto if you felt compelled to send the car to a good home. Additionally, if you choose to hang on to it, there are helpful members on here that can and will help you get through any sticking points on the car. You could also thank them by starting a resto thread in the resto section, and I am sure this car would have quite a few people that would subscribe and like to see how it progresses. I also suspect someone will decode the fender tag properly in short order now that we can read it better.

Thanks for sharing your find with others like me that are happy to know these cars ARE still out there. I assume by your handle this is not your first Mopar, I just want to offer my thoughts. There is a great restoration log that a guy named Jeff Ramin did with his 1968 Barracuda. Here is a link if you have some time:

http://www.jefframin.org/barracuda.shtml

For now, and for the entertainment of some our members, where did you locate your rare fish? Is there a good story? What do you know about it so far?

Can you wire brush the tag and re-photo? I'll decode it. Prior guy has stuff wrong........ Y2 Y2....not Y2 V2
E63...383
D21...4 speed
WOW, very nice to see another one survived!!!! Another friend (Rocky) has the sister to mine and yours. Rocky's is close to mine being T5 copper, but his has black interior and vinyl top where mine has saddle interior and top. Mine has sport stripe, his doesn't. Mine is console 4 speed, think his is non console? Mine needs resto, his is done!

i knew stuff was wrong, just hard to make out. and yes, very desirable rare fish

here it is again
BH23:
Plymouth Barracuda
High
2 Door Hardtop

H9B: 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

273663: Sequence number

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 High Performance
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
Y2: Yellow (Dodge), Sunfire Yellow (Plymouth) Exterior Color
HW4: H4W: Trim Grade/Style/Color H = High 4 = Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest W = White/Black
X9: Black (Dodge), Black Velvet (Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler & Imperial) Int. Door Frames
128: Build Date: January 28
186989: Order number

A01: Light Package
A06: 69 Only Sport or A/C Group
A53: Trans Am Package
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G15: Tinted Windshield

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Well, this thread ought to get interesting in short order so let me chime in.

If it were me, I wouldn't sell to my friend for that unless he had the knowledge, resources (think $$) and intentions of trying to preserve a rare car. There are three things that I certain of: 1) I can promise that you likely spend more $$ than that car will be worth done in the end unless you can and will do the majority of the work yourself, but you can take solace in the fact that you will have a very rare fish on your hands in the end; and 2) If you sell this to your friend you will likely not come across another one; and finally, 3) The fact of the matter is that A bodies are not E bodies and this is not 5+ years ago. The market and economy remains soft, which may have been the impetus for you being able to even get your hands on the car for what I assume was less than the 5k your friend mentions paying you to take the car off your hands in the first place.

You are correct about the cost of original manifolds. Repops are not offered to my knowledge. There are members out here that have them, but they are commanding a pretty penny, and most are squirreling them away for something of their own. Also, not sure how readily available the BB bellhousing is either, but I know other members know with more BB know-how will perhaps chime in on that.

Just my $.02, but since you do not have the numbers matching block, there is no reason not to put some TTI headers on a 383 and call it day. Like I said before do your best within your abilities and budget to keep the car as OG as possible, but there will have to be some deviations unless you are patient enough to wait for opportunity to knock on correct, rare parts, and when they finally show up, expect they will cost you.

The first order of business would be to pull the back seat and see if there is an intact buildsheet back there. If it's there, set it aside and start a record in a binder on the car. I would attempt to get the backstory on the car from the previous owner and put that stuff in a three ring binder and start gather parts and/or buy a parts car. Take a ton of pictures and keep a record of what you do to the ca, and records of parts bought and $$ spent.

IMHO, if you friend is into Darts, let him find a Dart (there are plenty out there, and he can do with them what he will). There are PLENTY of people on here that are salivating over your find, they just have not come out and expressed it like BB Dave has. There are also many talented members that have the patience, $$, knowledge and some parts lying around to treat this car to a proper resto if you felt compelled to send the car to a good home. Additionally, if you choose to hang on to it, there are helpful members on here that can and will help you get through any sticking points on the car. You could also thank them by starting a resto thread in the resto section, and I am sure this car would have quite a few people that would subscribe and like to see how it progresses.

Thanks for sharing your find with others like me that are happy to know these cars ARE still out there. I assume by your handle this is not your first Mopar, I just want to offer my thoughts.

For now, and for the entertainment of some our members, where did you locate your rare fish? Is there a good story? What do you know about it so far?

Was posted on a local web "FOR SALE" page In Jamestown ND It had been in a garage there a few years and had been originally from Tucson AZ thats why the clean body. It will be hard to find the Engine trans combo since it was most likely lost there. I have lots of B-body and a little E body parts but A's I don't . It is a cool car and I will post as much as I can on any progress . Thanks for your post it sounds like you know your stuff. I paid 3K for the car and a few guys had looked at it but no one had cleaned the tag off good to decode it . It was covered with a black almost tar based paint and the first tag pic in the post was after I had wire brushed it off! It has a sun backed dash pad but I have one of those. the Rad is wrong. 8 3/4 rear with a 3:55 Posi. Trunk floor and floor pans and most of car is rust free. Has rust where the quarters meet the rockers on the seam, because it had those wide moldings there. Thanks again...

for 3k, you sir, got yourself a deal. these are my favorite of all the early barracudas. i dont own one , but none-the-less, sweet ride. if it were me, i would restore it regardless of the cost. a rare car indeed. what a bonus that the fender tag is still there.

I've only seen 3 hardtop big block Barracudas in all of my 42 years :
1.) 1968 383-S hardtop . It was largely original ; Q5 turquoise with black interior , AM-FM thumbwheel , console-shift T-Flite , manual disc brakes ; and 3.91 gearing . Its only modifications were : Ansen Sprint wheels (14x5" front , 14x8" rear) , illegal side pipes (the ones with the hidden slide to open them to unmuffled exhaust) , and the change to a factory 2Bbl induction during the gas crunch .

2.) 1969 "A12" 440 hardtop . EB5 Blue . Its engine was built by Sox & Martin's team ; it later was owned by Tom Hoover (under the guise of "Hoover's Mover") and was used as a test mule for Direct Connection's "W" Series small block heads (Hoover bought the car sans powertrain ,and swapped the 340 into it). This car was featured in Mopar Action a few years back .

3.) Yours :D .

Yours is optioned in a similar fashion to how I'd have ordered a '69 Barracuda : 383 , 4 speed , 3.23 / Sure grip , disc brakes , fast ratio manual steering , AM-FM radio , Mod Top :D .

I thought that yours was originally EV2 Tor-Red , as I misread the fender tag ; that Y2 looks like "V2" with all of that code-obscuring paint caked on it .

I've only seen 3 hardtop big block Barracudas in all of my 42 years :
1.) 1968 383-S hardtop . It was largely original ; Q5 turquoise with black interior , AM-FM thumbwheel , console-shift T-Flite , manual disc brakes ; and 3.91 gearing . Its only modifications were : Ansen Sprint wheels (14x5" front , 14x8" rear) , illegal side pipes (the ones with the hidden slide to open them to unmuffled exhaust) , and the change to a factory 2Bbl induction during the gas crunch .

2.) 1969 "A12" 440 hardtop . EB5 Blue . Its engine was built by Sox & Martin's team ; it later was owned by Tom Hoover (under the guise of "Hoover's Mover") and was used as a test mule for Direct Connection's "W" Series small block heads (Hoover bought the car sans powertrain ,and swapped the 340 into it). This car was featured in Mopar Action a few years back .

3.) Yours :D .

Yours is optioned in a similar fashion to how I'd have ordered a '69 Barracuda : 383 , 4 speed , 3.23 / Sure grip , disc brakes , fast ratio manual steering , AM-FM radio , Mod Top :D .

I thought that yours was originally EV2 Tor-Red , as I misread the fender tag ; that Y2 looks like "V2" with all of that code-obscuring paint caked on it .

Found so far

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 911
trunk area looks like bell is a 2892513 trans has 8G202853 not for the car but A-body

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 922
$3k? = VERY good price. People have paid more for less.

Next order of business, see if you can contact that previous owner via letter (might be a longshot, but might pay off). At least you can find out more about the car and what happened to the drivetrain. Then buy a Factory Service Manual (they are more than worth it). You can get them in a PDF format that is searchable. Develop a plan and list of parts you think you will need from there. Make friends with any FABO members in the area who are talented. Hunt craigslist religously for a 69 383 block (or based on the date your car was built, a late 68 A body block). With your luck, you might score one with exhaust manifolds. Copy and paste this into google:

1969 383 site:craigslist.org
1968 383 site:craigslist.org

Recommendation:
Keep the steel wheels in black and put on dog dish hubcaps. With the yellow paint and black stripe and black tail panel that car will look badass.

See if you can find the partial VIN stamping on the top of the radiator support (it might be caked in paint since you mentioned that before), and also see if you can find the partial VIN on the trunk lip where the weatherstripping is. Pull that backseat and see if there is a build sheet. It would be cool if it is, but I will wager it may be long gone.

*****EDIT*****
Cars give up awesome clues sometimes...can't tell if that is the buildsheet on the seat back in your last trunk pic(SURE LOOKS LIKE IT, AND IT LOOKS TO BE IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE)....take a closer look. Leave it there until you can get an extra hands to CAREFULLY extricate it and put in in a document protector if it is. Remove some of those parts from the trunk and start cleaning them up and see what you have. Even if they are not for the car, things like that shroud may be worth some $$. The more I see this car, the more I am really digging your "Sunfish". Sent you a possible lead on the previous owner via PM. Might be worth a phone call. A quick Google search of "Jerry Dember Motors" yields some archived articles from the Tucson Observer from the mid eighties. Is there a trace of a name on the buisiness card as well...looks like "Barry" something...tough to make out.

Sell your B Body and E Body parts and put the $$ towards this build, unless you can fund it outright. You sir, have a fish that is a keeper (pun intended). My opinion.

That sure looks like the buildsheet in the trunk pic to me too, and you need to be very careful when removing it, extra hands are great.

Very cool car, what a lucky score!!

there is a 68 383/727 for $400 in Breckenridge

Let me know if you need help I go to Fargo ALL the time to help my cousin with his 70 Lemans!

PM me or look on Craigslist for the number!

-
Back