1969 Dart Build Date?

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
I figure someone here can help me out. I am trying to figure out when my car was built and if the engine i have is age/type appropriate.

The car is a 1969 Dart 383. Sequence number 191783 (from broadcast sheet, not VIN).

The engine is a 383 HP Cast 12/18/1968. And I have no clue where the VIN is, If someone could tell me where that was as well, I would be very appreciate

Well, I think I'll assume car was built sometime in May. Not because I have any clue how to find that out but because the VIN is right in line with a couple May Built Cars on the GTS Registry. This makes the car build date 7 months after the Engine I have...Is this about right?

Do you have the fender tag.If so I can tell you when it was built by that.
A 1969 Vin on the block will be just above the oil pan on the passenger side.
Jim

If the engine is correct for the car it should have been built no more than 3 months before the car and not after.So if your 383 is matching numbers and has a date of 12/18/68 your car should have been built between 12/68 and 3/69.If you list the last two rows of numbers on your fender tag I can tell you for sure. Jim

Thanks for the response Jim.

It's not the engine that came with the car, I just was wondering If what I had was close to being Date Correct. Sorry to make you think I thought I had the #s matching engine, I was just curious where the VIN was.

I figure someone here can help me out. I am trying to figure out when my car was built and if the engine i have is age/type appropriate.

The car is a 1969 Dart 383. Sequence number 191783 (from broadcast sheet, not VIN).

The engine is a 383 HP Cast 12/18/1968. And I have no clue where the VIN is, If someone could tell me where that was as well, I would be very appreciate

The VIN is in five locations. The fender tag, the dashboard VIN plate, and the broadcast sheet. From your post I assume you don't have any of those three?? You mention the braodcast sheet and the sequence number. The VIN is in the top line of the B-sheet. Or is your B-sheet so rotted that you can't make out most of the numbers? if you can scan the sheet and email it to me, I can decode it for you. If this is a GTS, do you have it regsitered in the GTS Registry??

The VIN is stamped in two locations on the body. One spot is on the radiator support between the rad and the battery. The second spot is under the weatherstripping on the trunk rail on the driver's side. With that one you need to climb in the trunk and look up. This will only give you the last six digits which will not show the assembly plant. If this is a real 383 GTS, then it would have been only built in Hamtramck. They did not build any 383 GTS's in the Los Angeles plant. All LA built GTS's came with the 340/727 combo.

GTS Registry,

Sorry again for confusion, I was just referring to the VIN on the engine block, I was curious to see where it was built. I know where the VIN is on my 340 and I couldnt find it on the 383 (maybe because it's in the corner of the garage and tough to see, oh well)

The fender tag is solid, the broadcast sheet is 100% complete, radiator core support and Trunk Rail VIN stamps are present and these all match the VIN tag. It was a Hamtramck built car. I'll definitely get the info the registry soon, it is a GTS 383/727.

Upstate340:

You want the VIN location on the 383! It is located above the oil pan rail just like on a 340 block. You will find it stamped in the machined pad.

Thanks,

I have the build date now, and just went out and looked at the VIN on the engine.

9B27900 I assume from a B-Body based on the 402 oil pan.

-
Back