1969 Dart GT convertible

-
I think you sent some of your bad weather our way Oklacarcollector...
woke up to 20 degrees this am (Palm Bch County FL) but warmed to 50 during day.
Im calling out all my buddys who told me to "just disconnect the heater and get rid of it" due to a bad heater core. "you never need it in So Fla"... haha thanks alot! Good news is its supposed to be back in the 60's this week.

Yeah this is a little chilly DA69RT.

My wife just got back from Brandon/Tampa... said you guys were getting hit hard as well homecloned. Keep those sprinklers on the strawberries 24-7... we come up to the Festival every year.

My wife just got back from Brandon/Tampa... said you guys were getting hit hard as well homecloned. Keep those sprinklers on the strawberries 24-7... we come up to the Festival every year.

Haven't been in 10 years but remember it well. Always liked the midway. We pretty much just hit Rays games, car shows and the Gatornationals anymore. We use to take the kids when they were young.

They where hit good last night. 17 deg. in Citrus Co. this morning.

Have been just enjoying the Dart the last month or so... great weather in FL for a convertible, so not much done to date.
Decided to finally pull the grill to repaint it. Alot of chips and it was not taped off well. Used the Aircraft stripper that had it clean of all paint in about 30min total. Cool stuff... paint just wipes off. Used flat black to clean up the area behind the grill.
Gonna leave it with the "chrome" look until I get a chance to pull the trunk panel off and do the same. Then Ill tape em both off and get it all done in one shot! Got the new DartGT emblem to finish off the back panel.

dart 064.jpg

dart 065.jpg

Trunk panel.jpg

dart 073.jpg

Yessss she is looking sweet,I do like the 6pack hood idea.My buddy Charlie has a 69 Dart rag in his garage looks like yours not finished yey he has been working on it 12 years now. 12 years I could not waite that long.Glad to see your geting her the way you want.

Got seats out and my 1st look under carpet. I knew the front pan had been replaced and was holding my breath... but not too bad. Alot of mostly surface rust. The back will obviously need to be done down the road- but still very good integrity.
Going in circles talking to people in regards to POR15 , Rust Bullet, etc... $$$ but decided to just use Ospho ($11) and you can see by the pics it really neutralized the rust. Wire brushed it down again and hit it with another coat after pics were taken. Gonna seal and then paint.

Picked up some Automotive caulk/sealer today from a buddy at local Body Shop (couldnt find it anywhere else?) and started hittin the corners/seams.
My carpet came but had to send it back as the mass backing was not done properly (see thread)... so it gives me more time to really button up the floor pans/etc. Got the bucket seat braces (Ebay) spot welded in for added support yesterday.

dart 018.jpg

dart 047.jpg

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your story-- your more than welcome to come to kansas to assist with my 69----
It rolls, nothing else is attached. Hopefully this spring break will warm up & i can put some door glass in, Lawrence

VDART
No problem- Ill come and give you a hand...
but Im leavin w/those bucket seats!!! lol

Havin trouble finding a set in FL.

Got the new steering wheel and column sleeve on. Installed a nice leather Grant wheel I got off Ebay. Makes a world of difference! Changed from shifter on column to floor shift.

Been havin trouble finding time to jump back into renov... due to work and a recent roof leak that have taken precedence. BUT- have the carpet ready to put in and just replaced the convertible top hoses (will start a new thread for that one). Thank God I noticed a crack in a hose before I put the new sound deadner, carpet, etc in!!! What a mess I could have had!

Heres the before and after pics of steering wheel:

DSC04066.jpg

March Davie Car Show 010.jpg

March Davie Car Show 011.jpg

March Davie Car Show 008.jpg

Heres the cracked lines on my convertible pump. I didnt even know they were bad... went to move them to clean the floorboard under back seat and one of them just snapped! I grabbed another one and pulled on it and it snapped too! Looks like I was "lucky". Could have gotten whole car back together, not knowing they were bad, and then had nasty mess...

broke line2.jpg

broke line 2.jpg

on the hood...... you can never go wrong with a GTS style hood just my 2 cents, I've been kicking around the ideal of grafting the setup on my scamp hood, love your car keep the updates coming.

This project sounds very familiar. The car is looking good. When you try and set the timing and the mark is jumping all over it may be the vacuum advance being worn out in the distributor (even with the vacuum hose disconnected). The mechanism can become worn and will not return all the way and even cause the timing to bounce around. It might be time to upgrade the ignition system.

Thinking off aftermarket GTS hood... eventually. For now its stayin flat. I have a dual snorkle but doesnt look right. Also have the 2 scoop setup that I may throw on for fun until I can afford the GTS hood.
My thinking is $545 for new is better than $800 orig. I know I still need inserts, etc... but no rust issues is HUGE. Has anybody had any fit issues w/the repop hoods?

Hey Doug,
In the pics I sent you of my Dart, the fit looks great. But we did have to do a little work. The cowl to fender corners of the AMD hood were about 1/8' to 3/16" low. We drilled the spot welds ( 12" a long side and back) of each corner of the hood and raised the skin up on the inner shell of each side, and if you look at the pics it looks great. It was not much work, and we thought it needed doing. I think I have some before and after pics if you need them. Drop me a line.
Martin

Thanks Martin. Those pics were great by the way- awesome color!
Send me a couple pics of the hood issue... is this something that is normal? or are the hoods inconsistent during manufacture? Man- I want some thing to bolt and go... dont wanna have to modify a new part to make it fit.
May have to fly you down to So Fla to help me make it work!!! lol

Got the whole interior tore outta my ride- except for the drivers side bucket seat. I thought I'd take her for a cruise tonite... as shes been sitting quiet for a couple weeks...
Well comin back over the Jupiter Bridge I decide to get on it a little.

Downshift to 2nd and punch it-

Drops into 3rd at the top of the bridge when all of a sudden BAMMMM!!! Sounded like a shotgun went off! Scared the hell outta me...
Then BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM coming from right side of hood. Im thinking- great, just blew my engine... when is a rod gonna come flyin thru my hood?
I shift it into N and let off the gas as Im comin down the backside of the bridge- but its still BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM
Im thinkin what the??? I look at the gauges: oil/temp/volt all are good.
Pull over and the noise stops....???

Well, Ive been meaning to get new tires for some time now- and it appears that the tread literally separated from the tire on one section but 3/4 of the tread stayed on the "tire" that was amazingly still holding air. I guess the initial BAM was the steel belt snapping and it smacking my fender inside...
and the BAM BAM BAM was the tread smacking against the inside every time the tire spun around.
Got just a little fender damage and I guess it coulda been ALOT worse. Thank God it didnt totally blow out as I was going about 70mph and accelerating on top of a bridge!

Bottom line: When you see dryrot and think you need tires- you probably do.
Dont take a chance- REPLACE EM. My Dad owned a Goodyear Tire store for 30+ years so I shoulda known better.
Ill throw a pic on tomrw.

Last edited:
As I said... it coulda been ALOT worse.
The tire actually held air until an hour later!

Guess its time for new tires...?

Blow out and interior update May 2010 011.jpg

Got the floorboard grinded and small areas that needed attention were repaired w/fiberglass. Totally solid! Decided to use the "less costly" Peel and Seal from Lowes and worked great. Left the top down and it molded easy into all areas. AND I dont notice any smell... and it sat in the sun all day! Have to finish the front and then put down the sound deadner and carpet. Im hoping this will keep some of the heat out and keep the rumble to a low roar.

071.jpg

075.jpg

dart 010.jpg

Finishing the floorboard was supposed to be my weekend project but I spent it taking care of recent blowout (see above). Went to put on spare and it was flat... go figure.
Gonna put some new rubber on it next week hopefully. Still trying to figure out what the largest size I can fit on back. It has 225 60x14 all around on 7" Cragers. Thinking about stepping up to BF Goodrich TA 245 60x14 on back but concerned about fender clearance. Drivers side is 1" but passenger is is 3/4". I pulled the specs and it will be close (glad someone warned me to check as I just expected both sides to be the same).

These are the specs on 60 series BF Goodrich TA:

TIRE----Rim----Sec width---OA dia----Rev
225.......6.9"........9"...........24.7".........8 42
235........7"........9.5"..........25.1".........8 20
245........7"........9.8"..........25.6".........8 13

-
Back