1969 dart rear end

-

dallas ward

Reaction score
i have a 1969 dart custom . i have a question about the rear end . the rear end is offset more towards the passenger side by 3/8 of an inch . is this normal ? if not can the rear end be shifted over towards the drivers side 3/8 of an inch ?

you can see the differance when you look at the distance between the leaf spring and the tire , and the distance between the tire and wheel lip

Due to the configuration of the stock wheel bearings (the only adjuster is on the right side) it's normal to be a little off. How much is normal I'm not sure. To shift it over would require replacing the wheel bearings with non-adjustable "Green Bearings". Or cutting the spring perches off and having them re-welded back on. Not a cheap fix in either case.

i have a 1969 dart custom . i have a question about the rear end . the rear end is offset more towards the passenger side by 3/8 of an inch . is this normal ? if not can the rear end be shifted over towards the drivers side 3/8 of an inch ?

Most don't realize it but that is normal.
I never knew until I put 275-60-15s on the back of my 69 cuda and its not just our Mopars as my buddies 65 GTO is the same way.
Doug

It's not uncommon to have the whole rear end offset to one side or the other. Make sure your wheels measure the same side to side and the bushings are all in good shape. As long as the car tracks ok is usually isn't an issue unless it's real bad (over an inch) and you can't get tires to fit or it handles funny. In that case, I'd look for previous accident damage. In severe cases, you may have to put the car on a frame straightening machine and have it pulled a tad to get it back in alignment.

-
Back