1969 Dart Swinger tires

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger last week. It was restored by the previous owner to factory spec. I want to stick with this theme and may show this car. I believe it came with D70-14 tires in 1969. It has the original rims, which are 5 1/2 inches wide. Currently the car has P195/70R/14 (which Coker told me is the equivalent of the original tires).

I was considering getting P205/70R/14 (E70) or P215/70R/14 (F70) Red Line tires by BF Goodrich.

My question for you gentlemen is: would Red Line tires have been original on a 1969 Brite Red Swinger. And since it has manual steering will there be any differences in handling between the sizes? I may take a few passes at the strip so thought that the P215s would be best if it handled well and had no steering issues. Will these tires make a difference for judging?

Thank you for any responses.

I have 205 70 14 on my 69 Dart. I heard that 215 on the front will rub when you turn, but I'm not 100% sure.

i'm running 225/70/14 and have no problems with rubbing. on one of my dart I had to pull the front lower fender brace a little, there's room to move it on the front bracket.
I have a set of Bf' s (cooker) and Diamond back on another car, The Diamond back seem to look nicer, without the raised letters on the sidwall.

mine on E 70s
CAR.jpg

If a 340 car, they would have been E70-14s on those 5.5s, which would have replaced 7.35s IIRC, which would be equivalent to 185s,lol.
I run 235/60-14s on 7inchers, on the front of my 68Barracuda. I recommend nothing less for spirited driving. Even these are borderline inadequate, with big T-bars and a Big anti-sway bar;they do add a little excitement tho in the corners.
235s seem reasonable as to braking. And new BFGs make a wonderful howling moan when driven on the edge.

i have used them all and for stock appearance i think the 225's look too big,the 195's too small and the 205's look stock but for me the 215 70R14 look best.I also had my centres cut out and welded in to 14 x 6 mopar rims on the back.
I don't know about judging but red lines were available on '69 Darts.

Last edited:
-
Back