1969 Dart Swinger Warning Hazard Toggle Switch Bad??

-
Easiest test is to jumper the 2 hazard relay wires together and turn the switch on. If the 4 ways stay on then you have good wiring and a good hazard switch, and a bad hazard relay avail at any auto parts store for about $5.

Its easy to make a jumper test wire out of a short piece of wire and 2 male spades, or use alligator clip test leads and jump both relay wires together to test

I have a dumb question, which way is on? Mine doesn't seem to work correctly. With the toggle down my turn signals work. With it pointed straight out I have flashers but they are really weak. What's with the pull of the lever too. Mine works/moves whether you pull it or not. I replaced the flasher and no difference.

Down is off. There is no relay on the 69s. The hazard switch connects power, the two front turn signal wires and the brake wire together for emergency flashers. Al four of the terminals on the switch short together when you turn it on (up).

when they go bad they can be very hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

I haven’t looked for one, but you might google it & find one.

If you pull too hard on the wires you can pull the switch apart and the guts fall out on the floor. Don’t ask how I know.

Seems not an easy part to find these days. I looked in the '69 service manuals' schematic (Fig 11 / 8-103) and it does show the Emergency Flasher Switch and an emergency Flasher. So the way i figure; it "should be" something with one of those or ratty wiring...

Down is off. There is no relay on the 69s. The hazard switch connects power, the two front turn signal wires and the brake wire together for emergency flashers. Al four of the terminals on the switch short together when you turn it on (up).

when they go bad they can be very hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

I haven’t looked for one, but you might google it & find one.

If you pull too hard on the wires you can pull the switch apart and the guts fall out on the floor. Don’t ask how I know.

^^THIS^^ HERE IS HOW these work. This is a special 4 terminal switch. In "off" none of the terminals are connected to each other. When "on" all 4 terminals are connected

What you have is the hazard flasher power to one terminal.........

two more terminals get the left and right front lamp feeds

and the 4th goes to the brake power line going into the ts switch, usially the white going to the switch. If you jumper all 4 wires together, the hazards should operate. If they don't check / replace the hazard flasher and checck that you have power to the flasher.

That power should be hot at all times. I You MUST KEEP YOUR FOOT off the brake to get them to work, so check that the brake switch is not stuck

Thanks for that tidbit of info Del about keeping foot OFF THE BRAKE! Replacing the entire rear harness and wasnt getting 4 ways with brake applied. :thumbsup:
^^THIS^^ HERE IS HOW these work. This is a special 4 terminal switch. In "off" none of the terminals are connected to each other. When "on" all 4 terminals are connected

What you have is the hazard flasher power to one terminal.........

two more terminals get the left and right front lamp feeds

and the 4th goes to the brake power line going into the ts switch, usially the white going to the switch. If you jumper all 4 wires together, the hazards should operate. If they don't check / replace the hazard flasher and checck that you have power to the flasher.

That power should be hot at all times. I You MUST KEEP YOUR FOOT off the brake to get them to work, so check that the brake switch is not stuck

-
Back