1969 dart turn signal switch issue

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I have to jiggle the turn signal switch in order for the hazards to quit. You can hear the flasher clicking. Just the rear lights flash. Should I just buy a new switch or is there something else I should be looking at?

36B6184E-0CBF-4759-84C1-4F596A5E8CCF.jpeg

???Your hazard switch is on the turn signal switch???

69 should be a separate switch on the dash.

It is a separate switch on the dash. It’s not really hazards per say because the front turn signals don’t flash. Only the rear brake lights flash. If I wiggle the the turn signal switch I can get them to stop.

The cruise control kept kicking out. (Wired to the brake switch). Then I noticed the flasher clicking. Upon further investigation I noticed the lights flashing.

Sounds like you have multiple problems. Try unpluging it the hazard switch. That will help isolate the problem. Those can go bad.

Unplugged the hazard switch and it continued to act up. Quits when I hit the brakes also.

Sounds like it is indeed something in the TS switch.

Just for info here is how the hazard switch works in those

With the TS switch centered, brake switch power is routed to both rear lamps. The hazard switch has 4 terminals, and when off none are interconnected. When on, all 4 are connected together

1 terminal receives power from the 4 way hazard flasher
1 wire leads to the brake light switch power going into the TS switch
1 wire leads to the TS wire feeding front left lamp
1 wire leads to the TS wire feeding front right lamp

So with hazard switch engaged, the flasher feeds power to those three points. For it all to work, you foot must be off the brake, and the TS switch must be centered.

D74E082F-313D-4057-AD4C-DD20757E1781.jpeg

66AB524F-4FEF-471D-8663-02966331961F.jpeg

After further investigation I found the switch ground loose in the connector.
Wonder if this could be the sole issue?

not sure why jiggling the turn signal lever would somehow create a better ground.

That is not a ground, at least as such. It appears to be the horn switch

Does sound like the turn signal switch. Don’t buy just the cam. I tried that. Big waste of time. Get a new switch. Not very hard to install, as you have done most of the hard work anyway.

The cruise kicking off off is a little interesting. Maybe a brake switch confusing the issue? Could need adjustment.

By the way bear in mind (I've read) that some replacement switches do not have quite the same color code as original.

I bought a $30 one from Year One a few years ago. It has worked fine, although I only drive my car a few thousand miles a year and am not a frequent user of turn signals. I have heard a lot of complaints about the cheap ones like mine, but I haven’t had any trouble.

I bought a $30 one from Year One a few years ago. It has worked fine, although I only drive my car a few thousand miles a year and am not a frequent user of turn signals. I have heard a lot of complaints about the cheap ones like mine, but I haven’t had any trouble.

kUoTv4HQEZfngigYsG92dATFfkK3bqbsXhBLvEi6Gm5TP7FmRpWY0wWJyYQlkRuXL4eu46CI24OLJkxgmC_OxPdX6rKYTdiM.jpg

Trying to buy as much MADE in the USA as possible.

-
Back