1969 Dart w/273

-

JDDart

Reaction score
Hey guys.....went to start my dart since last week and it turned over then gave it a break and went to start it again and it just quit, dome light went out and nothing. Repaired small ground wire, if it sits for a few the dome light comes on then when I try to start dome light goes out then nothing again. If I mess with the ground wire it seems to have some power. Radio doesn't come on either. Any suggestions or a start ? Thanks

Try cleaning the battery terminals and re-tighten. Replace the cables if there is corrosion evident inside the ends. Check the voltage, especially while cranking. The dome light on and bright before hitting the key shows the battery is not completely dead, but going out after turning the key indicates bad ground the battery does not have 12 volts under load

Try cleaning the battery terminals and re-tighten. Replace the cables if there is corrosion evident inside the ends. Check the voltage, especially while cranking. The dome light on and bright before hitting the key shows the battery is not completely dead, but going out after turning the key indicates bad ground the battery does not have 12 volts under load
I did clean and retighten terminals. when I turn the key it doesn't crank not even a sound. Now the dome light isn't even coming on anymore. starter relay? new cables and battery check tomorrow. dunno.

Battery could be toast. Got a load tester? If not I believe some parts stores have a "steal a tool" program.
I did clean and retighten terminals. when I turn the key it doesn't crank not even a sound. Now the dome light isn't even coming on anymore. starter relay? new cables and battery check tomorrow. dunno.

Does it have an ammeter? Had an old truck (dodge) burnt out same issue nothing ,no lights etc.

Check the wire connections at the bulk head connector. This is a known trouble spot on Mopars. Unless it has been modified, all your power goes thru both ways at the B H connector. Had to redo all my cars cause of it. The connections get corroded, and eventually open the circuits, especilly under a load.
Dave

sounds like your terminals are corroded by the way the juice just quits when you hit it and then maybe 'heals' after a few minutes. Pull your bulkhead connector clean with contact cleaner or sandpaper and then pack it with dielectric grease.

sounds like your terminals are corroded by the way the juice just quits when you hit it and then maybe 'heals' after a few minutes. Pull your bulkhead connector clean with contact cleaner or sandpaper and then pack it with dielectric grease.

I think pistha here is on the right track.

Reminds me of a 67 Dodge Coronet R/T we were helping out on. The thing would go stone dead, everything, then we would wiggle some wires on the Bulkhead and the dome light would come back on again then we could start it. Wiggle the wires and it would go dead again.

It took some testing of the wires going into the bulkhead from the engine side. There was one wire somewhere around the Lower Left of the bulkhead (as you are looking at it from the front of the car) wiring block that had a bad connection. Cleaned up the connections at that terminal and gave the female end a little squeeze with a pliers. This happen to be like a 12 ga. wire that fed the whole car interior and switches with 12 volts. Now it is all good, no more problems.

Those no start electricals are no good when you are out cruising around and want to have fun.

I think pistha here is on the right track.

Reminds me of a 67 Dodge Coronet R/T we were helping out on. The thing would go stone dead, everything, then we would wiggle some wires on the Bulkhead and the dome light would come back on again then we could start it. Wiggle the wires and it would go dead again.

It took some testing of the wires going into the bulkhead from the engine side. There was one wire somewhere around the Lower Left of the bulkhead (as you are looking at it from the front of the car) wiring block that had a bad connection. Cleaned up the connections at that terminal and gave the female end a little squeeze with a pliers. This happen to be like a 12 ga. wire that fed the whole car interior and switches with 12 volts. Now it is all good, no more problems.

Those no start electricals are no good when you are out cruising around and want to have fun.
It turned out to be the ground wire. I replaced wires, terminals, and starter relay. cranks right up. Yippie. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

-
Back