1969 Dart won't crank

-

JDDart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried to start my dart today for the first time in a week, and it turned over for 20 seconds and didn't fire up. So I turned the key off and tried again 10 seconds later and lost all power. I repaired the secondary ground wire and checked it again and the dome light was on and tried to start it and it went dead again. Same thing a few minutes later dome light on and goes dead when I turn the key. Cleaned the terminals battery is at 12+ but now not even the dome light. Nothing.....Any clues or suggestions would be great.....Thanks.....David

Hey guys, I tried to start my dart today for the first time in a week, and it turned over for 20 seconds and didn't fire up. So I turned the key off and tried again 10 seconds later and lost all power. I repaired the secondary ground wire and checked it again and the dome light was on and tried to start it and it went dead again. Same thing a few minutes later dome light on and goes dead when I turn the key. Cleaned the terminals battery is at 12+ but now not even the dome light. Nothing.....Any clues or suggestions would be great.....Thanks.....David
Hey Dave, what's the battery voltage drop to when you turn the key to start it? Battery at rest could be 12+ but under load if it drops under 9.5 then battery is toast. Have you tried boosting the battery to see if it will start?

Hey Dave, what's the battery voltage drop to when you turn the key to start it? Battery at rest could be 12+ but under load if it drops under 9.5 then battery is toast. Have you tried boosting the battery to see if it will start?
yea I have a 50 amp jump box and not even a peep. no lights nothing...

Battery load test first to rule out the battery. Check starter relay connections. Check the main fusible link at the firewall(at the main wiring bulkhead) making sure you have power on both sides of it. I lost all power a few years ago and had to cut/splice in a new fusible link.

Battery load test first to rule out the battery. Check starter relay connections. Check the main fusible link at the firewall(at the main wiring bulkhead) making sure you have power on both sides of it. I lost all power a few years ago and had to cut/splice in a new fusible link.
Thanks to all, it was the ground wire, so I replaced the terminals and wires and starter relay just for fun. Cranks right up. Yippie

-
Back